potty training my 3 year old daughter

she is still wearing pull ups. she has her own potty station, a seat for the big kid toilet, books, panties, everything you can think of, but she "don't want to" sometimes she'll tell me she needs to go (for the attention) but once she sits down, she "don't need to go" anymore. sometimes she'll go, maybe once every other day. just pee pee though. i tried putting panties on her so she could feel when she wets herself, but that didn't work. i tried making her wash her own panties, and walk around with no bottoms. still nothing. what else can i do to encourage her. she has a baby sister and i can't afford to keep buying diapers for 2.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:34 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I agree with the sticker chart. My daughter wanted a Barbie car so we glued a picture of it from a catalog to our chart. Then we drew a road to the car and every time she pottied she put a sticker on the road. Once she got enough stickers on the chart to reach the car we went and bought it. Of course, I made sure that once the stickers reached the car she was fully trained. I added roads or put the stickers close together!
    Maybe she needs to be taken to the potty on a timed schedule instead of waiting for her to tell you. Tell her it is time to go potty every 40-60 minutes or less, you know how often she goes. Do this and have her sit and look at a favorite book so she sits longer. Only look at the book when sitting on the potty. If you take her often, then she will be successful and get her rewards and will start going on her own. I really do not like pull-ups! As soon as she starts to get consistent (cont)
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 9:40 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I used a sticker chart for my son. First he got stickesr for every time he went potty. pee or poop. Then when he advanced i changed it to every time he went poop and/or stayed dry over night. Then i changed it to getting a sticker for every time he didnt have an accident over night (bc he was in big boy underware by then). ...i started introducing the toilet at 18 months. By about 2 years and 3 to 4 months he was entirely potty trained! he's 3yo now.
    oh. and when he filled the chart he got a prize. ours was chuckee cheese. we went through 3 charts.
    and you might try putting her in underware and putting a pull up over it. ...that way she still feels the wetness but doesnt make a mess!
    Good luck!
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 12:38 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• get rid of them. Kids know that when they have them on they won't feel wet and there is no reason to stop playing and go potty because they are so absorbent. Kids don't want to feel the sensation of wet pants or pee running down their legs. Dedicate a couple of weeks to really staying with this and you will see results. Good Luck!
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 9:43 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• She is controlling you and you are letting her. I had the same problem. My dd would only go when she wanted attention. She would go for everyone else but me. I did eveything you did. I finally put my foot down. She had done it one too many times. So one day she went in her panties she got a spanking and put on the toilet.She did it two more times in the same day I repeated the spanking. She has not had an accident since.
    With the poop part, I would just watch her close (she would hide) and when she looked like she was going to go, I put her on the toilet. She would scream then she would go and we repeated that senerio for about two months but all is good now. She is three too.
    Dont forget to make a big deal out of it too! GL I feel your pain!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:28 AM on Mar. 16, 2009