My son's hemoglobin is low. Need help getting him to eat Iron fortified foods

I just recently found out that my son's hemoglobin was 10.7

He is almost 14 months old, but he has no teeth yet. So I was wondering what I could do and what I could give him to raise his iron level up. Thanks ladies.

Sarah2116

Asked by Sarah2116 at 12:42 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Add molasses to foods. Ginger bread. My favorite iron food. Raisens. Yum
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:43 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Lentil soup is a good source and you could grind it up. Or what about iron fortified baby cereal. PLUS the liq vitamins w/iron. Another thing is that OJ helps incr the amt of iron absorbed.
    OGGI

Answer by OGGI at 12:48 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Where would I find these liq vitamins w/ iron. How much do I give him. There is so much that we moms have to worry about. I feel like I'm failing him since his iron is low.
    Sarah2116

Answer by Sarah2116 at 12:53 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• You could do as grandmas suggest, give him liver. :)
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 12:55 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• You didn't say if he is breast or bottle fed? Kids who get too much milk can have low iron. Also, cereals like Co Co Wheats have high iron, as does peanut butter. I need to know more before I can make more suggestions!
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 1:08 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• You have to make sure he is also getting Vitamin C! The iron will not absorb in the body without....you can give him all the iron in the world and it will do very little good unless he has an adequate intake of Vitamin C. I don't know why most docs don't inform patients of this...they give them iron and think they are doing a great job BUT if they don't have Vitamin C it's pretty much useless. I wish you son the best.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:11 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• lentil soup
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:17 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My son was a micro preemie. My pediatrician told us that we should make all the foods that are possible to make in a frying pan, in a cast iron one. He said that it actually gives you iron just from cooking your food in it. We always use cast iron to cook when we use a frying pan :)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• there are several liquid vitimains you can add to juice to help with that. Also, just check the label of foods. animal cookies have calcium and iron but I think gram crackers have iron, too.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• What worked for my son was giving him adult oatmeal once a day.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 10:09 AM on Mar. 16, 2009