Have any of you done the Atkins diet and succeeded?

I have seen many people succeed but then go off. Please tell me your experience. I am looking into this to help control my blood sugar as well as loose weight. :) Thanks...

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 12:42 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Diet & Fitness

• Read the Atkins books for clearer information. Cutting your carbs is not dangerous. Why do you think that sooo many American's are overweight? It's because we eat so much crap that has soooo much sugar, flour and starch. French fries, chips, cake, should I keep going?

Sooo many people have high cholesterol, diabeties, and heart attacks. In the 1960's the average american ate only 10 pounds of sugar a year, American's now eat that in 2-4 weeks. It's sickening.

I respect Dr. Atkins. The horror stories are out dated and because people didn't follow it correctly. Or they are bored and just feel like critisizing him. For example, People abused it and suffered high cholesterol because they ate a pound of bacon everyday, Dr. Atkins limits 4oz of bacon per day and red meat reasonably (I only do 4 oz of red meat 3 times a week).

Dr. Atkins stresses "real food" Not fake food like pasta & chips.
    Anonymous

• I only lasted about 2 weeks at a time on Atkin's - it's way too strict for me. My cardiologist put me on South Beach, which is similar but not as strict. I have had some great success with it so far, and have lost around 30 pounds.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 12:49 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• the problem with the atkins diet is that you are not giving your body a balanced variety of the proper nutrition it needs to properly function. The best way to lose is smaller portions - balance and variety - and increase your dark colored fruits and veggies - these contain Cyanadin which is a natural chemical that helps the body to jump start your metabolism. Your body needs carbs to properly process and digest foods - but have to be proper carbs - most people eat all the wrong crabs
    AndreaRUJuiced

Answer by AndreaRUJuiced at 1:51 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I am a BIG carb eatter normally.. hehe. About 5 years ago I decided to try the low carb diet.. and I was on it for about 2 months.. you wouldnt believe how fast I lost weight. I have always been over weight... I was about 190lbs when I started it and by the time I was done I was down to 160lbs. I lost 30lbs in 2 months! I was going for walks on a daily basis as well. After I stopped the diet.. I kept losing.. I got down to 150lbs... I felt GREAT! Better than I had in my whole life. Then, of course.. a month later.. I got pregnant.. and I havent been able to lose the weight again yet. Havent had the will power to do the diet. My son is almost 4 now.. and I am back at my 180lbs. UGH. But, anyway.. it does work!! Will power is what you need.
    MistyAB

Answer by MistyAB at 9:32 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I've seen it work...I've tried it. It did help me lose some weight, but I couldn't stick with it. It's not a lifestyle you can keep up with. (not if you like your bread and other things that are restricted) Since trying it I decided that I would never go any sort of diet again that restricted anything. In fact I don't ever want to go on a "DIET". I think everything in moderation works much better. You're not restricting yourself from any one thing and are a lot less likely to go crazy wanting something you're "not supposed" to have.

My mom followed a diabetic diet a few years back and she could have everything, just had to watch how much she had and how often. She lost weight, controlled her blood sugar and didn't feel deprived.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 5:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Atkins is soooo unhealthy. You can read the cons about it in several books including the Abs Diet, Dr. Oz's YOU books, Dr. Furhman's, Dr. McDougall's, Dr.Dean Ornish, and many other sites. It puts your body into a very unhealthy ketosis---you have to check your urine so you don't blow out your liver!!! Come on--that is just plain sick. It works but it is so unhealthy----because your body needs carbs for energy--when it lacks them it begins to turn on itself......do a search and learn about it....it is really one of the worst diets to go on......
    Anonymous

• I agree. It works but it is really not healthy. I lost a lot of weight but my cholesterol went up significantly (like from 170 to 197). It's also harmful to your kidneys if you aren't careful. Definitely not something you want to do for very long.
    heathermarie32

Answer by heathermarie32 at 8:25 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• All fad diets are dangerous, and will make you nutritionally void one way or the other. Believe me, no one wants to hear it, I know. We all love the 'quick fix'. Same goes for diet pills. I hate to exercise, so I just count calories and try to play with my kids a lot for exercise. Good luck!
    HoodiaGirl

Answer by HoodiaGirl at 9:31 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• YES!!! I did not give the best answer, there IS a right way to do the Atkins diet. It is NOT all fats and creams and eat 100 steaks a week like people think. It is healthier, but I meant that it is still a fad diet because it is hard to stick with for a lifetime, and some people simply cannot eat the amount of fats you are allowed on the plan.
    HoodiaGirl

Answer by HoodiaGirl at 6:47 PM on Mar. 17, 2009

• The Atkin's Approach is a lifestyle change. In the beginning you cut out a lot of unhealthy carbs to kick-start the weight-loss, but along the way more carbs are introduced back into this way of eating. Maintaining the weight-loss is simply eating in moderation.
    Anonymous