Fever and vomiting in a 5 y/o

I need some advice. My 5 y/o DD woke up this morning vomiting and with a fever of 102.9. After throwing up few times, she ate a little, and kept drinking. I gave her Tylenol, but her fever only lowered to around 100.5. Every time the Tylenol wore off it would start creeping back up. I lightened her clothing and gave her a lukewarm bath. (she got mad at me when I caught her with her coat on and made her take it off, poor thing) I checked on her just a few minutes ago and found her temp at 102.9 again. I gave her Tylenol, and then a few minutes later she wanted something to drink. While I was getting her water, she started spitting up again. It's not a projectile vomit, it's more of a spitting up, and she says her tummy hurts right around her belly button.
My question is, do you think this warrants an ER visit, or would she be ok to wait and see the doctor tomorrow?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Health

• No ER yet. This bug is going around we had it last week. Same description of pain. That fever is okay. If Tylenol isn't working by midinight, try Motrin, you can use the two at the same time. They are different drugs and it's okay. But the Motrin is every 6 hours, not 4. It is usually 24 hours and she'll be better. Mine vomited in the night, slept all night, ate small breakfast and drank, was okay all day and vomited again in the afternoon. Also, it follows with diarrhea so be prepared. Afterwards, he was fine. 24 hours to the hour. You can always call the on call doc before heading to the ER. If she's more or less hydrated, it's okay to have that fever. Do the ice chips, small sips of water, etc. Mine really complained about the pain. Good luck.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 12:55 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Thanks so much! I'll wait it out then.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:59 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Fever helps the body kill off antigens. It's a good thing, it is natural to want to give your child Tylenol or motrin to lower the fever but the body has it's own regulator when it comes to protecting itself and fever is one of them. Typically, unless the fever is over 103.0 in a child, you should try and let it "do it's job". The only thing that concerns me is the belly hurting ALONG with the fever. Normally with a stomach virus you don't run a fever. Is she having diarrhea with it? And if it's the "flu" you shouldn't have vomiting with it....most people think that the "flu" means muscle aches and vomiting but you shouldn't be throwing up. Anyway, use your "mother's instinct" and make a choice that way....they may can give your little one antinausea meds if needed to make her feel better and possibly hold down liquids. I wish your little one the best...you can always call the "on call" Ped and see what they say.
    Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:05 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Yes, don't stress too much. But be vigilant. If it really spikes in the night, call the on-call ped or nurse line. Ohhh, I feel your worry. It stinks, sorry.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 1:06 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• She hasn't had diarrhea yet. I asked her if she had went and she said "not today", which didn't stike me as odd since she barely ate. I'm going to keep a close eye one her tonight, and I told her to tell me if she feels any worse or vomits more. Her little cheeks are sooo red! My other to are older and it's been years since we had a high fever in the house, lol.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:12 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My main concern is the belly hurting like I said....the fever is just the "result" of what is going on. If the belly pain gets worse I would take her on to the ER. I hope tonight goes smoothly and you all get some rest.

Southerncharmes

Answer by Southerncharmes at 1:19 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I agree with the belly button pain. That is concerning. If her pain moves to her lower right side take her to the ER. Keep an eye on the fever and if she is still pretty sick tomorrow, I would take her in to see her doctor.

It is so hard to tell a tummy bug sometimes from an appendicitis. Also if the belly button pain does get worse and she is crying unconsolably I would take her in to the ER as well. {the more I think about it} Does that make sense?
    nyteowl

Answer by nyteowl at 2:59 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• i would cut out the tylenol, and use advil and gravol..my daughter just went thru this last week..so not fun!! and if shes not keeping anything down maybe use some gravol suppositories, thats what i had to end up using...and just make sure shes getting lotsa flluid...gingerale, applejuice, powerade/gatorade..goodluck!! hope your daughter feels better soon...(mine was sick for 5 days)
    alexis_06

Answer by alexis_06 at 3:18 AM on Mar. 16, 2009