baby carriers for infants

I have been trying to find a wrap/sling/carrier for my 6 week old, but the wraps and slings don't seem to be the thing for me... I was told that infants should be place in something where their feet cannot hang (i.e. a regular carrier) as it can hurt their backs to have their legs dangling.
Anyone have a good recommendation for something that will work easily so that I can "baby wear" :) as I am desperate to be able to do things with both hands AND hold my little one.
Also, any thoughts on if it is bad to have her in a regular carrier w/her legs "dangling"?
thanks!

KellyJC

Asked by KellyJC at 1:21 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i know you stated that wraps weren't for you , but I have SleepyWrap, MY son is a little big for it now , But I think its great, It's stretchy and hold the baby very well, Also There is multiple combinations of wrapping so that the baby's legs don't have to dangle.. and then as they grow you have the legs out so they're not scrunched.
    prettymama0607

Answer by prettymama0607 at 1:25 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I have a picture of my son in the type of sling I sell on my website. (mind you he is 2 and it still holds him but i used it for him since he was 1 month old) you can position the baby many ways. cradle, sit up, tummy to tummy, hip carry... Of course for a 6 week old just the cradle carry for now... But go look at my pictures on my profile and if that's what your talking about go to www.TheHeartBaby.com
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 1:31 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I've never heard of the dangling feet thing. I had mine in a snugli right from the beginning. If they're uncomfortable, they'll let you know - no worries there. She really liked the snugli and HATED the wraps. I think every baby is different. Don't forget that it is important for your baby to be on his/her own every once and awhile. I loved the baby bouncer...I could carry it easily from room to room and baby loved watching me do random things around the house....plus she could just doze off any time she felt like it.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 2:09 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Something like a moby wrap woudl be great. I make them for people and give them as gifts. Go to the fabric store, go for soemthing 100 percent cotton that has just a bit of a give or streach to it (my favorite is to use gauze fabric), go for something 60 by 60 wide and get 5.5 yards, fold in half and sew leanght wise (you don't really have to though and it will still work great). Go to the moby wrap web sight and it will give you pictures on how to use it. I didn't like my first moby wrap because the fabric fromt the one off the web sight was just to thick and hot. But useing the gauze fabric is a wonderful alternative. Comftorble, and doesn't make me sweat.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:11 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• HOTSLING!!!! Oh my freaking god, I love mine. It's the only way I can get anything done sometimes. It's measured specifically for your body and has some really cute fabrics. The reversible one is awesome.........You can find them on ebay, overstock, and google hotsling and it'll come up with a bunch on websites too
    casperswife

Answer by casperswife at 5:56 AM on Mar. 16, 2009