ANSWER QUICK PLEASE!!!

My son has a fever of 102.1..should I go ahead and take himto the hospital?He is a year old.There hasnt been any direaah, some vomiting but only on solids.He has some teeth coming in too.I gave him tylenol and put a cool rag on his head to help some.Also to make sure my thermometer is doing right, have you ever heard of one not beeping? There is a farenhiet sign that blinks then stops blinking on mine.Is that how I tell its done reading his temp?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:30 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Give him tylenol or motrin..you do not need to rush to the hospital for a fever. Bring down the temp and let him rest. If the fever does not come down with medicine or stays longer than 2 days, then call your doctor. No need to go to the ER
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:32 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• What part of his body did you take his temperature?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:33 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• yeah thats how the therm works i have one of those too, mine doesnt beep it just stops beeping, i think u should take him its worth the trip, go with the gut feeliing i always do.hope he gets better
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 1:33 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• YEAH WHEN THE F STOPS BLINKING IT IS DONE !!!!!! I WOULD PROBABLY WAIT AND GIVE THE TYLENOL A CHANCE TO WORK IF IT DIDNT GO DOWN ANY THEN I WOULD TAKE HIM IN .....
    ashleystoner86

Answer by ashleystoner86 at 1:35 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• okay thanks! I was wondering if thats how it worked lol! My DH was telling me I was wrong!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:37 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• The hospital won't do anything except give him tylenol make you wait 5 hours and then send you home. My son had a fever of 106 for 3 days and we took him to the ER all 3 days and they kept telling us it was nothing... My friends mom is a nurse and came over with some test strips and discovered he had strep throat... I HATE HOSPITALS!!! sponge bathe him with cool wash cloths (don't do to cold bc it can put them in shock) Also rotate between tylonol and motrin bc they work together and if you give just one they don't react to it anymore. GL i'm so sorry your baby is sick... hope he feels better
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 1:37 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Hospitals suck! 102 fever is not that bad. Remember, that's how the body fights infection. Just try to keep it under control
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 1:40 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• 102 is not a high fever. to calm yourself and give yoruself some reasurance look of fevers and educate yourself on them. A fever is NOT a cause of an infection But the bodies response. The body rises the temp to slow down the spread of infection, and speed up the production of antibodies and the efficancy of the immune system. Lowering the temp only prolongs the infection and works agains your childs own immune system. If your worried about brain damage, look it up, it does not start to occure from a fever till after 107 degrees. Taking you kid to the hospital will only expose your child to more viral or bactiral infections. A fever is not something to freak out about. Keep hin drinking fluids, pedialight would be wonderful if he will take it. Breast milk would be best. As long as he is taking fluids and is not lethargic , then he is fine.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:23 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• also, to keeping a fever undercontrol is hard to do, because undercontroll looks different for each individuall. My oldest will spike at 103 and only goes through 2 cycles and is usally done. My second will run at 104 but only spike that high at nights and will stay under 102 during the days, my third has only run a fever once, so I really don't know what is normal for her, and my baby has never ran a fever from anything other then teething, so I dont' knwo what is normal for him either. But fevers should come and go in waves with a high spike (102-104) then breaking.. then fine for a bit, then they will feel cold as the body prepars for another spike. The body will do this several times if nessary.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:27 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I agree with daughteroftruth. I personally don't even like to offer tylenol to my LO when she has a fever. She spiked a fever a few weeks ago around 103.7 (she's 16 mos). I got a LITTLE panicked, called the pedi, and they said just keep an eye on it.

Fever is the body's way of fighting infection. You want to try your hardest not to impede the body's natural work. Dont over bundle baby, I don't offer tylenol, cool washclothes at the MOST. If the fever continues for more than 3 days, THEN take LO to the ER. If the fever spikes above 106 (which is rare, as most humans have a "trigger" in their body which won't let fever go above 105 unless exposed to extreme heat) then take LO to the ER. Good luck mama, and offer 8oz of water, liquids, per hour.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 6:41 AM on Mar. 16, 2009