Job interview on Friday...

Before having my son I worked at preschools, but none in my area are hiring and they all have my resume, but I have waited and called back many times, but no luck I just cant wait any longer to find work. So I applied online at many local stores to be a cashier, work is work, money is money..I got the call this morning from Walmart wanting me to do an interview this week so its all set Friday at 2pm..(only day I can find someone to sit ds)
My nerves, are getting the best of me..I havent been to an interview in a very long time, any advice...
Or ideas on a schedule, my ds is 9 monhs old..my mil can watch him mondays, fridays, my gil can watch him any day but only for a few hours at a time. and my hub works 2am to 2pm everyday..so I thought I could work afternoons and evening so hub can be home with ds and i will be home during the day with him..
have you ever worked oppiste shifts from dh and how did that work out for you?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:03 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• Ive worked opposite days from DH,but dont like it. But if it was the only option to help my family,I would. Try working the same shifts and finding a childcare center or family member to babysit those days. I once worked at a nursery in a fitness center,because i could bring the kids with me for free. Where there is a will,there is a way. It will work out,maybe you dh's shift could change to your shift or vice versa. I usually have 2 days for just family time and the rest me and so work,but it works out great.we dont need to see each other 24/7
    sweetest-sin7

Answer by sweetest-sin7 at 4:14 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• DH and I have always worked opposite shifts and I love it (I joke that is why we have been married almost 13 years).

What I did was worked at as a pizza driver and delivered newspapers when they were infants. I usually worked weekends and the days my family could watch them. Now they are older we still do opposite shifts. I get them off to school and he gets them after school. It works out great.

He actually went on days for about a month and it screwed up my whole system. You just learn to get use to whatever schedule your job and life throws at you.

Good luck at your job interview.
    partiesbyjan

Answer by partiesbyjan at 5:59 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I recommend being VERY specific as to when you CAN and CANNOT work! Retail stores are NOTORIOUS for scheduling you whenever THEY need a shift covered--weekends and holidays is usually required--even if you don't actually work them--you cannot say you won't! Shifts typically last 4 hours. Consider that when completing your availability form.

If your hours are limited you may not get many "choice shifts," or you'll find yourself having to give your shift to another employee because you don't have child care! DON'T mention WHY your availability is so limited. Employers do NOT want to hear about child care issues...you will be viewed as someone not willing to "go the extra mile" for the company (which is expected even of minimum wage employees!), and would be likely to "call out sick" a lot. Just tell them the days and blocks of time you are available, because that is all you are interested in doing at this time...period!
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 8:42 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I have,and it worked out fine for us.. this gave them a special bonding time that they would not have gained otherwise.. and it made the time when we went to bed after the baby went to sleep, that much more precious. As for the interview, just tell them your case, when you will be available, etc. but if you really want this job, be sure to let them know you can do have other arrangements if it doesn't meet their scheduling needs, so they know you are serious about wanting the job, and are willing to work with them about ti.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:05 PM on Mar. 16, 2009