i have temp custody of my sisters kids and my fiance wants me to pursue full custody

we will have to take them to south carolina next june hes in the navy.... he says he wont play daddy to them for 15 months just to lose them when he leaves he says if i dont talk to the social worker about full custody then hes leaving we have our whole life planned together i love him deeply and so do our niece and nephew... my sister just wants to party and run around with friends while i go to college full time and work part time and he works ina factory full time til he leaves in sept and we have a house to keep and now we have her two kids... its alot but i agree with him ill be teaching next yr and hes gonna be a nuke tech for the navy so we could provide a great life for the kids i just dont know what to do

hle_05

Asked by hle_05 at 2:13 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Adoption

• I would just take full custody of them. it would be a better life for the kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:15 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Try to take full custody! Obviously there is a reason why your sister doesn't have custody of them now. It sounds like you two would be able to provide a loving, stable home for these children. You taking custody of them could be the difference between a happy, successful life... and one that you don't want to think about. My cousins had a terrible mother. My mom always wished she could take custody of them, but didn't in fear of causing family problems. She knew her sister wouldn't give them up without a fight. Now they are all grown and NONE of them are living productive, happy lives. One of the oldest girls actually asked my mom a few years back why no one did anything to help them. She felt that her extended family hated her since they never came to her rescue. She said her and her siblings always felt like the family outcasts. That they were not good enough! It was all because of their stupid mom.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 3:09 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I wish you , fiance, and those children, luck and prayers. I do have a question though..where is the rest of your family, and what are their thoughts? I had an older sister who did this, and my parents and sibs, just helped take care of the kids, then she just settled down and started parenting. I did not agee with her, and for those reasons we were distant from each other. I guess , I would fill a need to, after discussing this with sis, and the rest of your family, to contact an attorney, and at the very least pursue full guardianship! Ether way , you and your fiance sound like amazing young people for standing up for those children. How old are they? Blessings, C.J.
    ceejay1

Answer by ceejay1 at 9:51 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• It's too bad he's giving you an ultimatum like this. This is a delicate issue that needs to be worked out in your family. I hope he'll respect whatever you and your sister decide is the right decision.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 8:06 PM on Mar. 16, 2009