Still won't take it.....

I posted a question on here a while ago about my almost 5 month old son not taking a bottle. Some people answered and said to leave the house and have my husband give him the bottle. We previously tried switching nipples, tried formula, breastmilk, different types of bottles, let him get really hungry, and not so hungry, and nothing worked. And leaving the house isn't working either. Does anyone have another opinion? It's not THAT big of a deal, but I would like for him to take a bottle once in a while or in case of an emergency if something comes up to where I have to leave him w/ somebody for a short time. Thanks for the advice in advance....

Kaytlynsmommy

Asked by Kaytlynsmommy at 2:26 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Thanks, but no one really helped me on this topic....
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 11:50 PM on Apr. 3, 2009

• I'm at the 6 month mark and we tried ALL of those things as well. Alot of women don't believe a baby can really refuse a bottle if you give it to them early enough, but that is just not fact at all.
    I have settled on letting her play with a sippy cup (as a toy to get her used to it) and I'll probably introduce it to her as a feeding cup in a week or two.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:29 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• PS..I know its frustrating...it took me a long time to get used to the fact that my baby couldnt be with anyone but me!! But soon enough we'll wish they never wanted to be without us, enjoy it while it lasts. :)
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 2:31 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• well i have a question is it the milk or the nipples. i say go to the doctor because thats a problem for the baby
    naske795

Answer by naske795 at 2:31 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• How's it a prob. for the baby? I breastfeed so he's eating normally. When there is breastmilk in the bottle, he chews on it, but when there's formula in it...he gags and won't let me put it back in his mouth. I don't see how this is a problem.....It's just a little annoying.
    Kaytlynsmommy

Answer by Kaytlynsmommy at 2:35 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Wow, We are in transition right now with my 2 month old. She would not take a bottle until my husband realized that she wasn't really refusing the formula instead, she couldn't figure out how to suck the nipple... He then offered her a pacifier and let her suck. Once she was in a sucking rhthym, he switched to the bottle. This worked for him and she drank the whole 4 ozs.... This worked for him about three times and then she started refusing the bottle again. My mother babysat a week ago while we went to movies and she said baby took bottle with no fuss and no pacifier. She has taken the bottle from me on occasion and has also refused....We are just hanging in there and I encourage you to do the same. Good luck!
    actress

Answer by actress at 2:43 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• We have a stubborn one like that. We tried a sippy cup with breastmilk... and it worked. It was the nuby... I think... soft sippy cup. He took it right away and he has refused everything but the breats till then. He will now take fruit and veggie juice in it as well... but no formula... tried that once when I was really sick.. and he refused to take the sippy for a week.
    daughteroftruth

Answer by daughteroftruth at 2:53 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• DD would NOT take a bottle! Right around 6 months I gave her a sippy cup. It took her a bit of sucking to actually figure out how to get it out, but she figured it out fairly quickly! I say add it with his toys. Introduce the cup with water first, and let him play with it. Since LOs like to stick everything in their mouths, hopefully he'll pick up on it quickly enough!

Just make sure its a soft nipple. I second the Nuby.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 6:37 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I would let him keep playing with the bottle of pumped breast milk. he might play with it now but if he gets used to it then maybe he will eat from it. try a nipple that is more like a breast nipple.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:35 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• How did it go when you tried the "sleepy, pull the boob out and stick the bottle nipple in" trick? I had to trick Brady several days in a row before he would take it and he still only will take it when he is in a really good mood. I also let him play with the sippy cup every day and he sucks a little out :)
    Stephiejf

Answer by Stephiejf at 9:01 PM on Mar. 31, 2009