can't sleep

ever since my 15 month old had his febrile seizure i can't sleep at night in the fear of him having one while i'm sleeping an me not hearing him and something devastating happening....go to the Dr. or Not?

Litlegourd

Asked by Litlegourd at 2:27 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Health

• yes i think u should
    lhernandez7208

Answer by lhernandez7208 at 2:31 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Would you be going to the Dr because you can't sleep? If so they are only going to prescribe a sleeping pill and you probably won't take it in fear that you will be so knocked out that you will not know whether or not your baby is okay. If you do want a sleeping pill, then yes go... but there are also over the counter sleeping aids too. I took a sleeping aid a few times when my older son was around 1 or 2 and I remember waking up the next day and my husband would tell me that our son had woken up and was awake for a while. I had no clue! I was so out of it I didn't hear him and his bed was right next to ours! So my husband would be kind of annoyed that he had to get up with our son since he had to work early the next day. I don't know what really to tell you. I completely understand that you are stressed and worried. Anyone would be! Maybe you could try sleeping with him in bed with you, I always felt better knowing he was ok.
    AnnaMac

Answer by AnnaMac at 2:59 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My son had febrile seizures too, from the time that he was about ten months old, until he was about four. He is four and a half now, and we have been in the clear for a couple of months so far. It can be a very scary thing for a parent to go through! The first time that he had a seizure, I was at work at the time. My brother called me and said that they were rushing my son to the hospital, but didn't say why before he hung up. I must have driven about 75 mph all the way home (we lived in the country). When I got there, my husband was crying and there were rescue workers all around my home. It was very scary!!! It was the first time that I flew out of the house late for work and didn't check on him, so I took it very hard, although there was no way of knowing ahead of time that he was going to have one. Since then, there is not much that the hospital can do when he has one. Instead, we follow up with his pediatrician to...
    sarah_smile

Answer by sarah_smile at 5:56 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• ...make sure that he is okay after he comes out of the seizure and wakes up from his nap. I spent many sleepless nights wondering if he would be okay, but over time, your fears do subside a little bit. My kitchen and living room are between my son's room and mine, and even without baby monitors, I still heard him choke one time while I was sleeping in the middle of the night. I think that my "mother's instinct" kicked in there. You should invest in a good baby monitor for his room, and keep it right next to you when you sleep. Don't take any sleeping pills or drink while he is home, because it might impair how deeply you sleep. Our little ones will grow out of the seizures as they get older. If you ever have any other questions, feel free to message me. :-)
    sarah_smile

Answer by sarah_smile at 6:01 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Look up Rescue Remedy and Rescue Sleep from Bach Flower Remedies.
    ( www.bachflower.com ). They are natural and safe....help you relax! I've used these for years and everyone I recommend them too loves them too. I buy mine at Whole Foods.
    Noosh

Answer by Noosh at 9:05 AM on Mar. 16, 2009