When you have a c-section with your first baby then 5 or more years later you decide to have another baby do they open you up threw the same c-section scar they did 5 yrs ago?

or do they make u a new one? I don't want to have it naturally I prefer c-section but will it still be as painful as the first time especially coming from the same cut?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:01 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Health

• Actually, my second c-section was a lot more comfortable than my first! My son was born in August of 2004, while my daughter was born in January of 2009, so my kids are about 4-1/2 years apart. I only have one scar because my doctor made my second incision at the site of my first one, clearing old scar tissue away and then stitching me up nicer than my first doctor had. I can remember still being in pain when I returned to work after six weeks with my son, but with my daughter, I was able to quit taking my prescription pain pills about a week and a half after she was born. Everyone's body is different, but I have a couple of friends who agree that their second c-section went better than their first. Good luck with yours, and remember to take your medication as prescribed, even if you are breastfeeding... it will help you to be comfortable and allow you to enjoy both of your children that much more while healing. :-)
    sarah_smile

Answer by sarah_smile at 5:46 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Just because you has a previous section DOES NOT mean you need another. Vaginal births are much more comfortable that major abdominal surgery any day. Please do some research on VBAC. They are, in MOST not all, cases, safer anyway. To say your uterus will rupture is a load of crock.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 6:08 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• It's ten years between my first two and they both were c-section. As for the scar, it seems to me they went over the same area as before. To be honest, I hated the c-sections and had my next two pregnancies (a single and a double) naturally. Faster recoup time, and way less pain. :)
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 7:52 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I had a c-section in 2007 because he was breach and I had a small horizontal incision right below my belly. I don't know if they do the same today as they did 5 years ago but for me it wasn't bad. I know they used to cut vertically. Was your first cut vertical? Also,for the people that mention having vaginal instead of another c-section she could live in a state where it isn't allowed. I live in Topeka, Kansas right now, my husbands in the military. They don't allow vaginal after c-section because of the risks. My doc told me if I wanted to have my next one vaginally I had to travel to Kansas City which is an hour and a half away. I would have to go there for all prenatal care as well. I'm stuck having another c-section because I will not be travelling an hour and half for prenatal care or when I go into labor. Plus, I was told all my babies will be breach because I have a heart shaped uterus.
    amanda090784

Answer by amanda090784 at 11:38 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I can't swallow pills so I didnt take any pan killers at all after my c-section but thank God it wasnt painful, only when I would make force to lay down or get up it would hurt and also when the stupid nurse pressed on my tummy with all her force before getting out of the hospital, she said so all the blood can gush out.
    Anonymous

• i prefer c-section way better than vaginal birth. my c-section was made an inck before getting to my vaginal.
    Anonymous

• sorry that was inch not inck lol.
    Anonymous

• To present facts accurately...it's not the state the forbids the v-bac, it's the individual hospitals. In Kansas there are a ridicules number of 31 hospitals out of the 67 that forbid V-bacs.
    In any case, I wish you a safe and helathy birth.
    MomShawn70

Answer by MomShawn70 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2009