shoes?

Okay what are the best shoes for my walking, running, climbing almost everything 14month old ? I keep getting told soft sole are best then its no no high tops then no no hard soles...I am confused! I bought him a pair of soft soled pair of shoes from walmart size 5/6 and they are getting small already cant afford to spend $50 on stride rite shoes so the next size up are hard soles..(normal shoes I guess like ours)

Bugsmommy1908

Asked by Bugsmommy1908 at 4:01 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i bought my son a pair of tennis shoes from target and he wears a 7 and they are fine.
    HelloKitty86

Answer by HelloKitty86 at 4:18 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• He only needs shoes if he's going out and needs his feet protected. Around the house where he's getting into everything, bare or stocking feet is best.

Personally, I always bought the cheapest shoes in their size the store had. They grew out of them every couple of months.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:50 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• well he is outside a lot of the time...I try to get him out of the house and play like lil boys should. When we are in the house he is barefooted. I dont even wear shoes inside lol.
    Bugsmommy1908

Answer by Bugsmommy1908 at 5:58 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I like Robeez for my DD. Theyre soft soled. Theyre SO EASY to slip on! She has oddly shaped toes and her feet are wide, so I have a major problem finding the right size for her! To slip a shoe on her foot easily, it is usually 2 sizes to big. With Robeez I haven't had that problem. I think Target sells an imitation shoe . ..
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 6:33 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I usually just went to Payless and bought the white "toddler" walking shoes. They're not heavy or clunky...not horribly stiff soled.

Don't know...worked for us. And they were less than $15.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 8:06 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I usually go to Payless and get Austin's shoes. He is 2 and wears a size 5. When he was one, I bought him shoes made my champion (I got 2 pairs for $12) and he did really well with those while he was still learning how to walk (he didn't walk until 20 months). My husband bought him a pair of Nike's and my son has a horrible time walking in them, they don't bend easily so he's constantly tripping and falling. I have a pair of Cars shoes from Payless ($10) that I try to always put on him so he can walk without tripping!!
    austinsmama1106

Answer by austinsmama1106 at 9:00 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• If your son is already walking then he doesn't need walking shoes and there's really no reason for him to wear soft soles outside. Things can still poke through them if he steps on something sharp. We bought my son a pair of Tony Hawk skate shoes ( hard soles size 6) from Kohl's and he walks perfectly fine in them. He also has a pair of Nerf sandals (hard soles) from Walmart and a pair of brown shoes (hard soles) that we also got from Walmart. It might take some time for him to get use to normal shoes but he'll get the hang of it. Hightops are used to keep their ankles in line when they're learning to walk and he already knows how to do that so there's no need for that. They have little Tennis Shoes at Walmart pretty cheap so maybe try there or maybe Kohl's or Target.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 10:38 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• When my daughter goes outside, she wears Robeez Tredz....they stay on like the soft-soled Robeez, but have harder soles. They're great, and recommended by our pediatrician. My daughter is 21 months old. She wore regular Robeez all the time until recently when the weather got a bit nicer and she started going outside more.
    StarLee

Answer by StarLee at 10:51 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I buy my son's shoes at Target or Babies R Us! My parents bought him a couple pair from Stride Rite but I think he was actually more comfy in the shoes from Target. I've bought a couple pair of Nikes but I think from now on we'll buy the cheapies until he doesn't grow out of them so fast.
    amanda090784

Answer by amanda090784 at 11:27 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• What to look for in a toddler shoe:
    Flexible sole. This is not the same as a soft leather sole like a Robeez shoe. This is a regular shoe. Try bending it with your hands. Does it bend easily? Then it's good to go. Is it stiff and rigid? Then how on earth will his little foot be able to bend it? Skip this shoe.
    Low tops. Unless he is under doctors orders for special shoes, he needs low-tops. This gives his ankle muscles a chance to develop naturally.
    Wide toe box. This gives his little toes room to wiggle, grip, and move.

Payless Shoes actually has really good kids shoes. Give them a try.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2009