how can i get my 4 year old to start getting her self to sleep?

I am having big trouble getting my 4 year old daughter to go to sleep by herself, Ive read her stories, stroked her back,i've even left the passage light on so she's not in the dark, all to no avail. Please does anyone one else have any suggestions?

freyasmum

Asked by freyasmum at 6:17 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is she still taking a nap? My son will be 4 next month. We cut out his nap and now he goes to bed around 7:00 pm with no drama. We're to the point that he doesn't even care about a night light. He gets a bath at 6:30 pm, then he gets his teeth brushed, cuddles daddy and has a story. Then it's mom's turn for some cuddling. By 7:00 he'll announce, "I tired!" and off he goes. Of course I follow and make sure he's covered up. He grabs his blank, curls up and within minutes he is OUT until morning. I do try to follow the same routine daily as this seems to help him feel secure.
    4kidsandadog

Answer by 4kidsandadog at 9:51 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• How about some soft music playing in her room. We had a CD of soft music we played and I also bought glow in the dark stars at the dollar store. Everytime she stayed in her bed and went to sleep, I gave her a star the next morning. We stuck them to her ceiling and she could see them glowing at night. Soon she had a whole "sky" of stars above her head.
    LovetoTeach247

Answer by LovetoTeach247 at 9:59 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• How about TV for your child her favorite movie she should fall asleep. good luck and have a terrific day.
    DeborahElder

Answer by DeborahElder at 12:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2009