Cleveland Catholic Diocese Reveals Churches to Close

Is your church being closed or merging with another? How does this effect you if at all?

Our church is not closing but another is merging with ours. Now because of this merge they want to change our church name to become "new." I do not agree with changing the name of our church. Why can't this church just join as new members and we keep the same name? It just doesn't make sense to me. Our church was just remodeled two years ago.

I feel by changing the name somehow feels like my marriage and the baptism of my 3 children doesn't matter and it's just being wiped out.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:43 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• perhaps they are doing this, to try to be respectful of the members that are merging with your church.. by showing them, they are opening their arms to them, by renaming a church to help not only them, but themselves.
    This is a new day for this church, perhaps they are also changing the name to signify the steps they are taking to open up their arms and reach out.. a new time for them. You could discuss this as well with your priest, to determine all the details, and stress how you feel.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 12:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Is the name of the church really that important? I don't see how a change of that nature could minimize anything that has taken place there in the past. I honestly think you are just having an emotional reaction to something that truly isn't very important.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:09 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• This church has been there over 50 years. Why because of a church merge should a name change? Doesn't make sense. May not be important to you but it is for me. When people ask where I got married or where my children where baptized that church will no longer exist.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Mar. 16, 2009