cat's and infants.

This morning I woke up to my cat meowing for attention, it suddenly stopped and my 7 month old was giggling. I bolted out of bed already knowing what had happened. Sure enough there is my cat sitting in his crib. My son and my cat love each other, to the point that my cat lets a 7 month old 'pet' him. He doesn't even mind it when my son grabs him, just wanders away and then comes back a few min later - but he has NEVER jumped into his crib before.
I am not sure what to do about this. I don't think the cat will hurt my son, but I also don't think it is a good idea for him to be in the crib either.

Anyone else with babies and cats have any advice?

Amelora

Asked by Amelora at 7:50 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I've had cats since my son was born and they never laid across his face. I have woken up to see one of our cats laying on him or across his legs but never his face. We're living with my mom now so our cats are in their own little house outside. I think a 7 month old would wake up or at least move if anything touched his face and that would make a cat stand up. I wouldn't be worried and if you still are just lock the cat out of the bedroom at night. It's good that your cat is so comfortable with a baby, 2 of my cats run from my son and the other is always rubbing all over his legs and chasing him trying to get my son to pet him.
    bassyentihw

Answer by bassyentihw at 11:03 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• our cat knew not to get in the crib well after i threw her a couple times i do not believe a cat should be in a crib so i would lock it some where
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:53 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Our cat also adored my daughter when she was born (12 years later he still thinks she is his personal human). We bought a crib tent to keep him out of the crib. It was very easy to use and solved the problem. It also keeps kids in their crib when they start learning how to climb out.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 8:01 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My 9 month old loves our kitten. occasionaly the cat will get into her crib but as long as the cat isnt laying on your baby I wouldnt worry about it much.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 8:32 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• If he is awake and just playing with the cat, I don't see a problem, maybe just lots of shed hair on the sheets!! But while your son is asleep, if you're worried about it, just shut his bedroom door so the cat can't get in at night. I don't know about a 7 month old, but I know that cats will lay across a newborns face when they sleep bc they're breath smells like milk.
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:21 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I had cats and have never seen them lay across a babies face. I had cats as a baby too lol.. so who knows, I fully believe it's a myth.

I wouldn't care about playing in the crib with the baby. If you are worried I suggest a crib tent of sorts. Abusing the cat would be a terrible thing to do, can't believe anon would do that.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 10:09 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• a 7 month old is strong enough to move around and dislodge a cat if (a very big IF) it does lay across the baby's face, even if the baby is sleeping. The only thing you really need to watch out for is a very young baby. Most cats will not lay across the baby's face, even a newborn. Your cat and your baby are bonding and getting to know each other. This is a GOOD thing.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:35 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I would get a crib tent or close the door so the cat can't get in. Pets and babies should never be left unattended together. I would worry more about them getting scratched or bitten than anything else - even the most docile pet is capable if they are mishandled - why take the chance?
    ElderGothMom

Answer by ElderGothMom at 11:38 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Our cat is not allowed in his crib, carseat, chair's etc...mostly because of the hair and dirt he tracts in. When the cat is on something he isn't suppose to be on, I use a squirtgun on him. After a few times he is tired of being wet and stops whatever he is doing. (also works for the kids too)
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 2:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2009