My son is 10months. What should I be feeing him for breakfast/lunch/dinner?

He's been getting ~4oz of formula per feeding, and eats breakfast, lunch and dinner (+an evening bottle). We just started gerber 3rd foods, but there isn't much for selection. Is there something better, or something that I should be doing different for him? He gets cereal/fruit for breakfast, fruit/veggie for lunch and cereal/veggie/sometimes a meat for dinner. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

JP0425

Asked by JP0425 at 8:39 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Food & Drink

• At his age he can be on table foods. I would start giving him some of whatever you are eating.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 8:40 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Go with table foods or start steaming him his own fruits and veggies and cutting them into finger food size chunks. A good rule of thumb is that if you can smash the food against the roof of your mouth using your tongue, then baby can handle it without teeth. I do a fruit medley and a veggie medley and put it in the fridge. As long as you heat it (microwave) it to steaming before each feeding, you can keep it in the fridge for 3-4 days. I do steamed apple, carrot, broccoli, melon, plum, peach, turnip, cauliflour, etc. I save any left overs from our meals for my little one too. At this age a really ripe pear or nectarine wouldn't even need to be steamed and neither does banana or avocado. I also give my daughter pieces of toast, cheerios, bagel, waffle (I've introduced egg), scrambled egg, fish sticks, salmon (or any other white fish that we've cooked for ourselves) and chicken nuggets.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:47 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My DD is 9mos. I feed her cereal in the late morning( she eats 3 servings at a time), some fruit a few hours later( bananas, cantaloupe, mashed apple, honey dew), at night she has whatever we are having. I just throw it in the food processor. Its normally a meat mixed into carrots, potatoes, or peas. I only use gerber as a last resort. She's so used to fresh food, she snubs me when I try to give her gerber.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 8:57 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I have an 18 month old but when he was 10 months he was eating plain cereal, fruit, and yobaby yogurt, sausage and eggs for breakfast. For lunch, he would get all kinds of veggies, mac n cheese, grilled cheese, rice, soup. For dinner, he would get anything I cooked for my husband and myself. It was just a matter of it being small enough to eat. Oh, and pasta he loved pasta. It depends on your child. At 10 months my son was eating pretty much anything I ate. If I didn't feel he got enough or I thought he was still hungry I would whip out a jar of baby food and he would eat until he was full. SOmetimes a couple bites other times the while thing.
    amanda090784

Answer by amanda090784 at 11:21 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Whatever you are eating only cut up into smaller pieces. Keep track of what he is eating in case of a reaction. My son was on table food only by that age. Foods that he can pick up himself are good choices (pieces of pasta, bananas, potatoes, green beans or peas. Cheerios, cheese, small pieces of bread with butter or jelly.)

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2009