Puppies?

How do I effectivly potty train my puppie to go outside and not on my carpet? I put him out there and then as soon as we come back in, he goes potty every where lol. Please help if you can.

LANDENSMOMMYlmk

Asked by LANDENSMOMMYlmk at 8:49 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Pets

• Crate training your puppy will be a huge help in potty training. Crate them when you are not home, at night and when you don't have time to supervise you pup (when your in the shower, making dinner . . . etc). Also make sure you don't free feed/water your pup. Give them food on a schedule (once in the am and once in the pm) this was something my vet told me to do when I got my puppy and it was a huge help. If you leave food down 24/7 the dog will munch on food throughout the day, and then will be pooping throughout the day. Make sure you let the dog out often and praise the dog when the pup goes poo/pee out side. Don't scold you pup for going on the carpet, he/she doesn't know any better.

bookay

Answer by bookay at 10:16 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I agree with the previous post also make sure when you put them outside that you go with them for a minute and tell them to go! its just like kids if you take them out and say go potty or do your business and wait for them to do at least one. Then say good (insert name) you went potty. It hits them that is what they are here for.
    swhithorn

Answer by swhithorn at 1:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I've never crate trained any of my dogs, and I have five. Five successfully potty trained, no accident making dogs :) They are free fed and watered too. I don't believe in rationing their food, or making them stay in the crates. They are all wonderfully behaved dogs. What I did to potty train them was simple. If they pottied on my carpet AFTER being outside, I rubbed their nose in it and put them right BACK outside. Then they had to wait for twenty minutes. If they poo'd outside, well that was much easier. I'd just pick up their poo with a baggie, take it and them outside, put the poo on the ground, and make sure they saw it. Then they'd stay out for another twenty minutes. This worked in less than a week with ALL five dogs. :) Good luck!!
    lucasaxlesmommy

Answer by lucasaxlesmommy at 2:26 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Rubbing their nose in it just rectifies a negative approach to potty training. I would highly recommend a crate. That crate will be come a place of security for them and you will find that they will use that to sleep and to rest. Good luck, potty training is tough with kids in the house too!
    shanny35

Answer by shanny35 at 3:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• One tip I can give you which sealed the deal with our lab is until they are FULLY trained and have not peed or pooped in the house for a few weeks ALWAYS feed and water them outside only!! Puppies tend to pee and poop right after a feeding so always feed them outside with water and let them be outside for awhile afterwards until you see them potty then bring them in and make a HUGE deal out of what they did. It might sound crazy but praise and cherring is what trained my lab. I trained him in less then two weeks. I NEVER hit him or rubbed his nose in it. I would just firmly take him to the "mess" in the house and make him look at it while holding his head and strenly say BAD DOG!! then Outside he would go over and over we did this until he got the point. He hated us being dissapointed in him for some reason LOL
    LilyFrogTat

Answer by LilyFrogTat at 7:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I don't think feeding and watering them outside until they are fully house trained is very practical advice. What if it's raining or freezing outside? I recommend getting a crate and make sure you partition it off so that it is only big enough for him to stand, turn around, and lay down. If they have enough room, dogs will go in one part of a crate and then lay in the other part. Also try feeding him in the crate. Don't take him out if he cries, that teaches him to cry to be let out of the crate. Once he is quiet for a few minutes, then take him out. Make sure he is always within your sight or put a leash on him and attach it to your belt. You will start to see what signals he gives when he needs to go out. Have a super yummy treat that you only use when he goes to the bathroom outside and act like he is the best thing in the world as soon as he is finished peeing or pooping. Don't wait until he gets inside. CONT
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 10:56 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Typically puppies can't go without using the bathroom for longer than how many months they are plus 1 hour. So if they are 2 months old, 3 hours max. I don't know what sized dog you have, I have medium sized dogs, so that estimate may not work for you. I mostly use that for when we left the house. I would make sure we were back before the time was up to let them out again. If you work outside the home, you may need to hire a dog walker to come once or twice to let him potty. Walk him IMMEDIATELY after sleeping, playing, drinking, and eating and then about every hour in between those times. If he doesn't go after you are outside for about 5 minutes or so or just wants to play, go back inside, put him in the crate for about 10 minutes and try again. Make sure you use Nature's Miracle or another similar enzyme cleaner when he does go in the house. If you catch him in the act inside the house, just yell NO! and take him out.
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:01 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Should also add that when you are outside, use a command like "go potty" or "go pee." When we first got Hazel we lived in an apartment and would walk her right before bed and she would pee and poo. Well the first time it rained was a couple of weeks after we had gotten her. We took her over to the spot where we always took her to do her business and she peed right away. She would not poo, though. I refused to go inside until she pooed. We ran around the apartment building twice and then tried again and reluctantly she pooed. We were all soaking wet. Ever since then, when it's raining she pees and poos as quickly as possible. No messing around in the rain for her!
    Christina807

Answer by Christina807 at 11:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Crate training is a great way to help you potty train (as mentioned above). This is what I've done with all my dogs. Once they are 100% housebroken, there is no need for the crate any more (unless you dogs are like mine. Mine LOVE their crates). Crates are not inhumane, my dogs actually love their crates. We keep the crate doors open, and they always lay in them when they are ready for a nap.
    Feeding dogs on a schedule also works. Free feeding puppies causes them to have to poop constantly during the day. There is nothing wrong with feeding on a schedule. You pups won't starve if you feed them 2 (or 3 if they are real young) times a day.
    Good luck!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:57 AM on Mar. 17, 2009