Breast feeding past the age of one year?

Babies seem to have gotten all of the benefits they'll get from breast milk at that point. I feel like once the child can benefit from solids, what's the point of breast feeding? Am I right?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• No, you're not right. Children continue to recieve mother's antibodies for as long as child nurses. Nursing toddlers are sick less often than non-nursing toddlers. In fact, it is only American's who think children should be weaned by one year. The World Health Organization reccommends breastfeeding until at least two years of age.

And children also recieve benefits from comfort nursing. It helps a child to feel emotionally secure. Often a child weaned before they are ready resorts to extended pacifier use, or thumb sucking, both which contribute jaw development problems.

Human babies are biologically wired to nurse until the milk teeth fall out. That is around 5 years of age. Most babies in the US self wean between 2 and 4 years of age.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:08 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I agree. Breastfeeding past one year is pretty much for comfort more than anything.
    LaurenKaye29

Answer by LaurenKaye29 at 8:57 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• amen lauren
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:59 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I agree, but reserve the right to remain anonymous due to the potetnial influx of hate mail. It's just not worth it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:06 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• wow epoh five is a little old dont ya think? i dont believe any of what you just said sorry. but i am not going to preschool or kindergarten with my child so i can feed them lunch jmo
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 9:10 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I have no issues with a five year old nursing. I'm noone to judge. That is *biologically* how humans were made. If you don't believe me that's fine :~) I encourage you to do your own research! The La Leche League and the World Health Organization's findings are a great place to start!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:14 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My son was formula fed and never, ever sick. So I have to disagree with that point, that breast fed babies are healtheir. And he seems pretty emotionally secure too, as well as happy. A happy, healthy and emotionally secure formula fed child. Wow, who would've thought?
    As far as breastfeeding past the age of one, I personally don't think it's necessary. At the age of 5?? Sorry but that's kinda weird. JMO, of course.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 9:16 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• i do not breast feed any of my babies (twins) i perfer formula or watered down milk. i dont like the idea of my children sucking fluids out of my body.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:19 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Then why does it say to start offering food at 6 months if WHO recommends breastfeeding until age 5?

"WHO recommends that infants start receiving complementary foods at six months (180 days) of age in addition to breast milk. Complementary foods should be given 2–3 times a day between 6–8 months, increasing to 3–4 times a day between 9–11 months. Between 12–23 months of age, 3–4 meals should be given. In addition, depending on the child's appetite, 1–2 nutritious snacks can be offered between meals. These foods should be adequate, meaning that they provide sufficient energy, protein and micronutrients to meet a growing child's nutritional needs. Foods should be prepared and given in a safe manner to minimize the risk of contamination. Feeding young infants requires active care and stimulation to encourage the child to eat."

Right from their site.

TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:20 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Not saying formula fed babies aren't healthy, or not smart, or not secure! I know formula fed babies who are all of these :~) I personally cannot argue with statistics though.

I can absolutely understand why one would think nursing a toddler is wierd. I used to think that way too. My LO is 16 months and still nursing--I just couldn't imagine forcing her to wean at this point. As long as mom and baby are comfortable with their nursing relationship, it really shouldn't bother you though. They're happy. Your FF LO is happy. We're all doing what is best for our children in our own way.
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 9:21 AM on Mar. 16, 2009