Everyone keeps telling me to just hope for a C-section.

Are c-section births really better than natural child birth?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:56 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I would say go into it your birth well informed. Learn about pain management in every form. Natural relaxation methods and drugs. Learn about all possible interventions such as episiotomy, the vacuum, rupturing membranes, etc. And learn about C-sections. A lot of times what you plan isn't what happens. The best thing you can do is have a plan, be informed about all options and possibilities, and be open to unexpected changes.

Also, don't confuse the birth with the parenting. There are so many other choices you'll have to make in parenthood. Worrying too much about this is like mistaking the wedding for the marriage (my new favorite expression).
    beckcorc

Answer by beckcorc at 9:15 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• im sure in some situations it is but it doesnt take away from the birth of your child its still a wonderful thing good luck mama
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:58 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Why would people think that? I had a natural Birh,and some in my family had c sections,and I healed way before them,got to hold my baby faster,other than stretch marks ,no scars. Go for Natural.
    Val504

Answer by Val504 at 8:59 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Any kind of birth is wonderful but there is no way to completely avoid the pain....so just focus on the baby and hope for it to go smoothly! It is true what they say, you forget the pain pretty quickly once you focus on the baby. Some people say they experience very little pain, or that the pain isn't that bad. I was NOT one of those people. But overall, once it was over, it was a wonderful experience. I had one natural birth and one c-section.....
    BJoan

Answer by BJoan at 9:01 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Recovering from a C-section is far worse than recovering from natural delivery. I've had 3! It takes a while to heal completely. Go natural if you can. My 1st was an emergency section, and last 2 were scheduled. My last was 8 months ago and my incision still feels numb and sore at times. Good luck.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:01 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I had an emergbency c-section and the recovery was terrible! I am due in June with my second and we are hoping for a Vbac! I think it is "popular" to have a c-section now because you can control when the baby is born....I personally don't agree with that. If you have to have one it is a totally different story than opting to have one when it is not necessary.
    Duckieglc

Answer by Duckieglc at 9:02 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• You do not want a csection. Your body was built to birth a child...obviously that way would be easier. Sure it hurts, but as soon as that baby is out the pain is done. You are recovered within hours, feeling as good as the day before (assuming you did not let them give you drugs or an episiotomy). Csection scars can hurt months later still...

Not to mention it's major surgery with serious risks...
    gradysmom2006

Answer by gradysmom2006 at 9:09 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I had three vaginal births. I know people who had c-sections. Their recovery is MUCH longer and more painful! You're being sliced open!! How could that be better (unless medically necessary)?
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 9:11 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• For my first baby I had an emergency section too after a horrid labor because I was so late. That recovery was very long and draining, I was also in the hospital with a fever that wouldn't quit for a while sick myself from it all. My second and third babies were repeat sections because of what happened my first time. Those recoveries were way better because I wasn't sick in addition to the surgeries. Labor to me was like severe diar. cramping for the hours I had it, nonstop but with out the diar. and with the most painful nonstop contractions ever. BUT many many women don't have sections. You need to seek out the best delivery for your baby and yourself, chanting through labor for me, even though I ended up emergency section cause he would not move at all, was more helpful to me than lamaze breathing. Plus I wish I had songs to help me thru it I still would have ended up sick cause I was so late but the pain less.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• umm, no it's not. c/s increase infant mortality and their are definite risks with c/s. a natural birth is the best option. I don't know why people are so afraid of vaginal births, fear mongering and ignorance is the only thing I can think of. There are some instances where a c/s would have been a better option: true emergencies, but for 85-90 percent of births a c/s isn't the best option.

I was up and walking the day I gave birth, no tearing no nothing. Felt fantastic! I could run a marathon.
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 9:17 AM on Mar. 16, 2009