HELP! My milk won't let down!

My baby is 5 mo.

Yesterday, I had some kind of stomach bug and I wasn't able to eat anything. I have been drinking water, had about a liter yesterday, but my milk won't let down. It let down once yesterday afternoon, and a couple times in the morning when she was eating but most of the time it won't : (

HELP - what can I do? She's getting really frustrated. I'm pumping every 15 minutes or so between feedings, and it won't even let down then. I get may be a total of an ounce out and I've been letting her drink right from the pumping bottles to tide her over.

I'm really worried I'm losing my milk supply : ( Please, any advice?

dovetailthreads

Asked by dovetailthreads at 8:56 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would apply moist heat...Maybe take a hot shower and place a hot wet towel over your chest.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:06 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Are you sure its let down and not a blocked duct?
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:08 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• If you had a stomach bug, I know it'll be hard, but try to eat you a full meal. If you don't eat, the less milk you will produce. And if it goes on for much longer, go ahead and get a can of baby formula, bc you don't want your daughter to go hungry in the meantime!
    srhmldndo

Answer by srhmldndo at 9:18 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• yep - totally sure its not a blocked duct - had those before and they don't prevent letdown for me
    dovetailthreads

Answer by dovetailthreads at 9:19 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• This is a page from Kellymom. Scroll down a little to Directly before nursing and continue with during.
    http://www.kellymom.com/bf/supply/letdown.html#normal
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 9:38 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Stand in the shower and let HOT water run onto your breast.....OR.....get a very HOT wash cloth and place it on your breast. Heat will help your milk to flow.

Keep drinking lots of water.

Good luck!
    KissieBaby3

Answer by KissieBaby3 at 9:54 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• You probably had a drop in supply due to dehydration. This happened to me when I got really sick and couldn't keep any fluids down. Just keep drinking and breastfeeding as much as possible. My son latched on for about 23 our of 24 hours and my supply was right back!
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Have you tried drinking Mother's Milk it is a tea you can get it at King Soopers. (It is at the end of the isle about the 2 or 3 shelf from the bottom)
    gifford4ofus

Answer by gifford4ofus at 1:36 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Wow, I can't select anything as best answer - all the answers were very helpful! Thank you!

My supply is back up - still having slow letdown issues but I'm sure that'll resolve itself.
    dovetailthreads

Answer by dovetailthreads at 6:37 PM on Mar. 18, 2009