What does it mean to have your children baptized?

I was baptized when I was a baby along w/ everyone else in my family, my husband and I were married in a Methodist church, we do not go to church but do believe in God, Heaven and such.
My confusion is I don't know if I should have my children baptized.
Can anyone help explain this to me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:16 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• Christian religions take 2 approaches. I was baptized at birth also and it is often means that the parents are dedicated to teaching and raising the child in christianity and it is a symbol of washing away original sin. Other Christians just do a dedication at birth that they offer the child to God and agree to teach Christianity, but the water is saved til the child is older. When the child chooses to become a Christian for their self then they will be baptized as a symbol of their decision to the world. (That they have died to the old life and are risen again with Christ...this way is a full dunk)
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:25 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I was about to post a question about the same thing! I have 3 kids, 2 have been baptized at birth and my daughter will be baptized in June. People are Baptized to belong to a church, to belong to God, to walk with God, to believe in God, to be blessed by God and to follow in Gods way.

My question is: Has the Catholic church ever given anyone a hard time because you don't attend mass regularly and want to have your child Baptized? I do not attend regularly, i go about 1-2 times a month. But, I am afraid the priest at my church will give us a hard time. Shouldn't everyone have a right to Baptism?
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 9:30 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• It is up to you and your DH. It is a religious ceremony and it's a tradition in a lot of religions. Some actually think it is better to wait for a person to wait until they make their own decision. You and your DH have to make the decision and if you feel it is right for you.

hannahwill

Answer by hannahwill at 9:31 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I am Southern Baptist. We feel that the child is to choose when and if they get baptized. As a baby it is unnecessary all babies will go to Heaven.

Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 12:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My Opinion-
    I do not think anyone should be baptized that is not ready in their own heart and have the desire to be baptized.

Baptism is a step we take on our own initiative after we have made a decision to love, follow, and obey God. No one can make that decision to be baptized for another person.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:26 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I look at it this way. People in the bible were baptized when they were dedicating them self to god. When they had fully undrestood what they believe. Not as a child. Jesus himself was baptized later in life. NOT AS A BABY. A baby can not comprehent the meaning of being baptized, ababy cannot dedicate his or her life to god at such a young age. Its not logical. Look to the scriptures and pray for guidence. You will find the truth there.
    Anonymous

• Shouldn't everyone have a right to Baptism?

Yes, but only if it means nothing to them other than saying oh my kids are baptized..

People should have to live and in your heart, live by gods commandments. You should do as he asks and not just when its convienent for you. All gods comandments, not the ones people pick and choose. A child cannot decide if they have a personal relationship, or if they WANT to dedicate there life to god.
    Anonymous

• Baptizing infants is unbiblical and useless. It is God's "opinion" that matters. Baptism is a sign of our Death, Burial and Ressurrection with Christ after we have repented and believed in Jesus for our Salvation. Infants can't do that. It is a wicked tradition of man and should be forsaken if you profess Christ Jesus to be your Lord. Read the Scriptures and see for yourself~

lilhoney

Answer by lilhoney at 12:03 AM on Mar. 17, 2009