Weight gain with quitting smoking..

Ok.. I've decided I DEFINATELY need to quit smoking. I know its dumb, but my biggest fear is gaining the 20lbs that I have heard is inevitable. So, you ladies who have quit smoking.. did you gain the weight? If so, was it hard to lose? If not, how did you avoid it? I am already over weight (about 180lbs) and I want to lose about 30lbs this summer... I do NOT want to end up 200lbs! Help!

MistyAB

Asked by MistyAB at 9:25 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Health

• #1 Your health is more important than your size. Skinny and dead is NO Good!! Congrats on your decision. I never thought I could quit and I have quit for 5 months now and I never really thought is was possible. I used the patch and it helped alot, I wrote a list of reasons why I wanted to quit and kept them handy to read again and again. I joined quitnet.com which tracks your progress. It will tell you howlong you have quit, how many cigs you have not smoked and $ saved and days added to your life. I walked alot to keep busy even after my daughter was alseep I would exercise by walking past one house in either direction. I had to quit the behaviors that I associated with smokig(so I had to quit chatting on the phone at night and get active) Keep healthy snacks around and don't give up..You can do this!!!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 9:36 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Everytime you have a craving, drink a glass of water. Also, start working out when you quit, this will help! Good luck and stay strong.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Thanks :) I really want to do this.. I have said I did before.. but this time I mean it. My other problem is that my SO smokes.. he says he wants to quit too, but his will power is much less than mine when it comes to this. Its so frustrating.. I cant sit here and watch him go smoke and not go crazy! Ugh! I am trying not to think about it alot and every half hour or so he says "Man, I really want a smoke right now".. geesh. Not only are we wanting to quit for our health.. but we live in Maine, and smokes are $7 a pack now!!! Thats crazy!!! We would be saving $14 a day.. we could go on vacation after not smoking for a few months.. its crazy. Whew.. now that I've vented that, thanks again for you support :)
    MistyAB

Answer by MistyAB at 9:43 AM on Mar. 16, 2009