Please help me!!!!!

I have had a cold (no fever, sore throat or any other symptoms) for the last 3 days.. I am so congested and cant breathe,taste,smell, starting to lose my voice (and my mind) I have tried all kinds of OTC meds for colds and allergies (have to be careful what I take because I take oral chemo and tamoxifan)and made soup, tried the vicks, steam showers, all the home remidies my friends can think of (my friends even suggested hanging my head upside down when i blow my nose..PLEASE DO NOT TRY THAT..IT MAKES EVERYTHING WORSE!).. but I am MISERABLE!!! Please if anyone has any "home remidy" suggestions I would really appreciate it! I am so tired of feeling like a snot factory(tmi I know). I cant remember ever being this snuffy!! Thanks in advance!

Tzutchka

Asked by Tzutchka at 9:37 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Health

• It sounds like allergies instead of a cold. Ask your doctor if you can take mucinex- that will loosen up all mucus- I am taking a double dose right now because of allergies. Also do nasal rinse- mix a small amount of non-iodized salt in a glass of warm water and sniff it up and spit it out. You can also buy saline solution in a nasal spray. What I am having a lot of luck with is a netipot- I heard people rave about these and thought that my usual nasal rinse was easy and cheap, but the netipot really does rinse a lot of the stuff out of your nose and the nearby sinuses- including allergens. You can get them at pharmacies. I use mine twice a day on bad days.

Answer by Bmat at 9:47 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• We were always given a concoction of 2 parts honey, 2 parts lemon juice, 1 part whiskey....I don't know if you can have the alcohol or not. If not, sub the whiskey with green tea and drink very hot.
    Kimebs

Answer by Kimebs at 9:40 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Having a cold is miserable. You're going to have to let it run its course though.

All the things suggested that you've tried are really only for brief temporary relief of symptoms. I'd just advise you to build up your system with Vitamin C, keep eating healthy even though you can't taste it.

One thing that DOES get the ol' nose running is spicy hot food...you know, like spicy chili, hot sauce on your taco, etc. I make taco soup (1 28 oz. can diced tomatoes, 1 10 oz can Rotel diced tomatoes with green chilies, 1 can whole corn, 2 cans pinto beans, 1 pkt taco seasoning, 1 pkt ranch dressing mix; just mix, heat and serve) that makes MY nose run! Again, it's just a temporary fix.

One other thing I was advised years ago: don't blow your nose constantly; just wipe it when needed. Blowing it will force more of the crap BACK into your sinuses so it can sit and simmer and multiply even more.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:51 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• When my mom was going through Chemo and radiation she was told to just "wait it out". She was so limited on what meds she could take.

It does sound more like allergies and not a cold. Ask your doctor if you can use Nasonex and get your doctor to write you a prescription for it. I always use Afrin with the menthol in it.(OTC) It works great for me, but again you need to ask your doctor first before using it.

Good Luck! Hope you feel better soon. (((HUGS)))
    KissieBaby3

Answer by KissieBaby3 at 9:52 AM on Mar. 16, 2009