How to make dropping off to daycare easier?

I am new at this cafe mom thing. I have a one year old little girl and in the past three weeks she has been very sick and has become very very attached to me and in turn has made it very difficult to drop her off to daycare or do anything without her attached to my hip. She screams and cry's and does this till she falls asleep. I wondered if anyone has any ideas that might make this easier? Thank you

aw226

Asked by aw226 at 9:53 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• from everything i've ever read on this, the best course of action is to just stick to the same routine. Give her a hug and kiss goodbye and tell her you love her and you will see her when you get out of work. It should rectify itself shortly. Kids can go through phases like this, and it's best just to keep the same routine, anything else can be confusing for the child. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:09 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My son gets like that when things change - new teachers, new class room, different furniture, etc. I make sure and take as much time as he needs each day. I also make sure and hand him to his teacher, not just set him down and leave. She will take him and give him hugs and baby him. She will give him food (his favorite thing in the world) and try to get him settled. Once that happens, I can leave. Around that age, they start to hit this milestone of acting like this. Some research actually suggests they do it because they think you want them to react that way. The key thing is, how does she react about 5 minutes after you are gone. If she is fine a few minutes after the whole thing, it's just her way of saying goodbye. But if she has a hard time all day or most of the day, you might need to check into changing daycares, she might be unhappy there.
    DDry

Answer by DDry at 10:15 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• i used to work in a daycare. and honestly, it didn't help if the parent stayed longer. generally that just drew it all out even worse. do what you normally do. gives hugs and kisses. when she is crying and throwing a fit make sure you give her to the daycare teacher. most kids will be fine as soon as you leave or within a few minutes. especially if she has been sick, this is very normal. i know its really hard. i hated seeing the kids cry a bunch.

good luck.
    aly38914290

Answer by aly38914290 at 10:33 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I agree with Aly. I used to work in a daycare, and seriously, it doesn't take very long for a child to settle down once their parent has left. It's easier if you just hand them over to the teacher and let them try to calm the child down.
    CaylaLU

Answer by CaylaLU at 2:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2009