How should i handle this?

My daughter was attacked by my parents dog and had to get 25 stitches by a plastic surgeon who had to recontruct her bottom lip because her muscle had been torn. My parents had her to stay the night and they called me to tell me what happened. I rushed to take her to the ER. and they stayed up there with me and my husband the whole time. First they were going to put the dog down. Now they have to wait for the Health dept. to contact them first and then go from there now their planning on keeping it but at a friends house and have it visit them on the weekend when my daughters not their. The offerd to pay some of the bill and that's great. But i don't like that their wanting to keep it cause i know eventualy the dog will move back in with them again. By the way the dog has growled at her several times before and they lock it up but most of the time after a little while release him. Mostly just wondering if it's reasonable

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 10:16 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Pets

• I would not let my DD or any of my kids go back over to my Parents house again..Tell I new the dog was DEAD. If they want to see the children they can come over to my house without the dog.
    They should pay the whole bill not just some of it.

Answer by louise2 at 10:22 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• for me to be upset they WANT to keep it? And if it ends up back in their home for me not to allow my daughter to go there? After all they knew it was agressive and didn't like small kids but didn't keep it locked up way from her. Pics of my DD on my page.
    amommy2a2yrold

Answer by amommy2a2yrold at 10:17 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I think that it is their pet and they have to make a decision that works for them. I understand that you are upset about the entire situation, as you should be. I do think that the dog living somewhere else and them visiting it is a compromise to the situation. Just them know that if the dog moves back home then your DD will not be coming to visit. I think that it is awesome that they stayed at the hospital with your DD and that they offered to pay a part of the bill. Be greatful because alot of people wouldn't do that. I wish you all the luck and I hope that your DD feels better soon.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:22 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I would be very upset with my parents if they didn't put the dog down. You should never had a dog that is that aggressive towards anyone! I don't think that I would allow my child to even go over to their house again if they did bring that dog back into their home. That's not a safe environment. I really hope that your daughter is okay.  I am so sorry that she had to go through this...

ali_1107

Answer by ali_1107 at 10:24 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I'm so sorry! Your poor little girl! No I don't think you're wrong to be upset about them wanting to keep it. I understand being attached to a pet. We treat our pets as part of our family. But if one of them bit my kid that'd be it. I don't know if we'd have the heart to put him down, but he'd have to go to a different home or something away from kids. If that dog ends back up at your parents' house, they should totally understand why you wouldn't want your daughter there. They saw the damage first hand. I don't know how they could ever let that dog near her again.
    Nika75

Answer by Nika75 at 10:25 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• ohh. What kind of dog is it? The fact that the dog growled before isn't good. I've had three dogs at one time. One of my kids' friends was even afraid of cats. Never never were they ever together -my dogs and the friend or even my cat and the friend because the girl refused to come to my house and I respected that. They played instead at the girls house. If your parents keep the dog never under any circumstance at all visit them at their house with your daughter or any other children. It's a very very hard decision to euthanize an animal for any reason but certainly your parents need to seriously consider that. I'd state even on their voice mail if you just can't speak firmly in person that they're welcome to call then come over in the future for visits instead of your family over there. Do you know what happened that the dog attacked?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:25 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Knowing the dog was aggressive would be enough for me to not let her go over there. But I saw my sister get attacked by a neighborhood dog when we were little and she still has the scar, so I am really nervous about that sort of behavior in dogs. I can see them doing weekend visitation or giving the dog away. Regardless, I wouldn't let my daughter over anymore because I would constantly wonder if they would get the dog while she was there after I left. Stay there with her at all times so that you can leave if the dog ends up there or tell your parents that you can't risk your child's safety again and that they are welcome to visit her in your home, but that you don't feel comfortable with her in theirs.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:31 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I would tell them, "it's us or the dog". I don't think it's unreasonable for them to destroy a violent animal, or at the very least, get rid of it. While I'm sure they can be retrained, I doubt you are going to be seeing Caesar Milan in the near future. Would they feel the same way if the dog had killed your child? That could have happened, and if the dog gets a chance, it may still happen.

momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 10:33 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• to ANON
    The dog is a lab. My DD and teen age sister where playing after dinner on the couch my DD got off the couch and the dog was under the coffee table and the dog came out and bit here. My DF has a couple assumptions as to why. One is that he was giving the two dogs left over french fries about 20 min before and then thought UM maybe the baby would like some more. and gave her the rest but she was done with them by the time the dog attacked he assumed it might have been jealous or something but really it wasn't provoked or even touched just jumped up and attacked. My sister was behind her on the couch and saw it all from the point of view
    amommy2a2yrold

Answer by amommy2a2yrold at 10:37 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Personally, I wouldn't let my child go there anymore if there is a chance that the dog will be there. There's just no way. It would have been iffy before, when the dog had just growled, but now that's she's actually been attacked? No way. I have a dog that I love also, but if he ever attacked anyone, one of my kids or another, he would have to be put down. That's just unacceptable, and there's no way I would risk it happening again. I hope your daughter is okay and feels better very soon! So sorry this happened to her!
    mom2XandZ

Answer by mom2XandZ at 10:41 AM on Mar. 16, 2009