Soy Formula Allergy??

My son is a month old and has a hive like rash on his face, neck, tummy, back and on his head. He has been throwing up constantly. (not spitting up....he's throwing up and it comes FLYING out!) His little voice is so "raspy", and he acts like he's in pain at times.

I took him to see his Pediatrician last week and she said he had a heat rash. I don't think it's a heat rash.....especially since he has other symptoms. I think he's having an allergic reaction to his Soy formula. He was on regular formula, but couldn't tolerate it. Pedi said to put him on Soy. We did and then the symptoms showed up. I wish I had breast milk to feed him and just forget about formula all together.

Anyone know anything about Soy allergies from formula?? Symptoms.....if there's a rash and what it looks like? I looked up the symptoms online and the sound like what he's got.

Anyone????

KissieBaby3

Asked by KissieBaby3 at 10:25 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I always thought it was more of digestion discomfort than actually breaking out into hives. You asked him if it was related to soy? Or he had hives with formula and then you switched?
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:30 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I would call your pedi back and go in again and don't leave until he has heard all of your complaints. He probably is allergic and need something different. I don't remember what the next step is after soy but have him checked again.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:32 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• The hives showed up AFTER giving him the Soy. (like within the first 24 hours)

He has an appointment today and I'm seeing a different doctor this time. I may switch him to Gentlease or Nutramigen. We'll see what the doctor says. I'm not leaving their office without answers!!!!!!!!!
    KissieBaby3

Answer by KissieBaby3 at 10:35 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• yes a child can be allergic to soy. IF a child has an actual allergy to milk, not just an intolerance to lactose, but an allergy to milk, then they will have the same allergy to soy. It's the protiens they are allergic too. Try a hypo allergenic formula, your child could also have reflux, which can be common for little ones as well. Best of luck
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:36 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Take him to the doctor or to the ER and don't leave until you have an answer. You know your child and you know that this isn't normal. Follow your instincts momma.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:38 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Yeah I always feel like I'm being rushed out of the office. My DD has had heat rash and it only occurred where she was covered. Not on her face. If you have to switch you insurance might cover the cost of the hypoallergenic formula.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:46 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Try similac's ALIMENTUM or enfamils NUTRAMIGIN formula. Both have to soy or cow protein.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My son is both soy and lactose intolerant. When trying soy, he became VERY constipated, broke out in a rash around his belly and neck and started wheezing... Lactose results in wheezing, runny nose, fussiness and bad bad gas. We use Nutramigen!!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 11:19 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My 2nd baby also had problems with formula and soy formula. He was put on Nutramigen. I'm suspecting that my 1 month old (baby number 4!!!) is having the same problem. I'm just so frustrated because when I took him to the Pedi she said it was heat rash and I was argueing with her that it wasn't!!!!! I've NEVER seen heat rash on anyone's face, ears head.

My son has HORRIBLE gas, sounds funny when breathing (I guess it could be wheezing), VERY fussy, his nose isn't runny but it is a little stuffy sounding when he breathes.

I feel so stupid!!! This is my 4th baby. I feel that I should have all the right answers and yet here I am so totally clueless and in tears because my baby is miserable. :'(
    KissieBaby3

Answer by KissieBaby3 at 12:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My son has HORRIBLE gas, sounds funny when breathing (I guess it could be wheezing), VERY fussy, his nose isn't runny but it is a little stuffy sounding when he breathes.

He is most likey stuffy from throwing up so much...W took Kayla to an ENT cause she had "cronic" congestion and they simply said it was because she was throwing up so much! But like some of the other posters said you know your child...dont let your dr bully you! Hope he gets better soon and you an find out what is wrong with him.
    BoobiePrize

Answer by BoobiePrize at 12:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2009