Has anyone banked 'cord blood stem cells' after giving birth?

What banking company did you use? Approximately how much have you spent thus far on storage? I would like to add this info to my comment section on my 'Cord Blood Banking' article, as my editor is looking to hear from actual participants. http://www.examiner.com/x-2491-Pregnancy-Examiner~y2009m3d15-Examining-the-importance-of-banking-Cord-Blood-Stem-Cells

Thanks,
Cindy Ferda

Cindy2009

Asked by Cindy2009 at 10:29 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• I did a lot of research on cord blood and decided it wasn't worth it and my ob agreed. If a sibling has a diagnosed med problem then its more logical. The chances of you using it are very, very low and the charge an arm and a leg. I was going to donate mine but because it was the weekend and they weren't staffed for it, so they threw it away. Google pro and cons. I'm sure you'll find detailed cost analysis.
    Farrahann

Answer by Farrahann at 10:34 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I also looked into cord blood banking. I did TONS of research on it and decided that for the cost it wasn't really worth it. The web clinics I looked at want about $2500 to collect, ship, and process the cord blood, after that they wanted $150 a year for storage for 18 years. I plan on donating it for someone that will need it but in my case it was just WAY too expensive.
    gettingfat89

Answer by gettingfat89 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I also did a lot of research and have decided for the cost it wasn't worth it. I asked about donating and my OB explained that there has been so much donated that there really isn't room for it, and that the majority of places (at least around where I live) no longer accept donations.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• When I was pregnant with my daughter my husband and I looked at banking cord blood. We found a bank that was in our budget. It was going to be about $1,000 down and then a yearly payment of $350 dollars. I can't for the life of me remember the company name though.

However, upon more research I found several articles saying that these companies do NOT test the blood when it comes in to see if it can even be used! I called the company we were planning to use along with several other companies and not ONE company said that they did the testing. So basically you could be paying thousands of dollars over a life time for something that you probably will never need and if you did need it you may not be able to even use it. Then your thousands in the hole and still have a sick child who needs a cord blood transplant.

That's why my husband and I decided to go with public cord blood banking. If you do public banking it is...
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:36 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• immediately tested to see if it can be used and then put into the public bank registry so that it can be used NOW for a sick person.

I just don't think it makes sense financially or other wise to bank blood you probably will never need and may not be able to use if you do need it when there are sick babies, children and adults who need it NOW.

Through the research I've done it seems like an unfortunant financial scam that thousands of parents are being put through. There should be regulations and requirements such as testing before these companies are allowed to take money from couples who truly think they are doing the best thing.
    miasmommy21407

Answer by miasmommy21407 at 11:39 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• if you go to www.cordblood.com you can see what the typical bank/storage fee is with one of the larger private banks. However, if you go to www.thecordbloodregistrymom.com you can see that CBR does offer discounts on their fee as long as you use and mention code M5470. we banked with CBR and thus far, the cost is pales in comparison with the fact that we have no regrets on having bankes and rest easier knowing that if we ever need it we have it storedl. The yearly fee of $125 is nominal in the big scheme of things!
    marukagmb

Answer by marukagmb at 9:51 PM on Mar. 17, 2009