Church Home

Have you ever felt like leaving a church because or the people? I like my preacher and their are a few people I really like at the church, but one dominating person that I don't care for who pushes into all my relationships. She has gone there all her life and I can't stand her or her attitude. She is snippy and judgemental and thinks she is God's gift and I can't seem to get away from her and I'm thinking about looking for a new church where I could make new friends. What do you think? Have the other Christians ever run anyone to a new church?

ria7

Asked by ria7 at 10:42 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I had a lady like that at my church.. wont go into all the details but lets just say she was my Harriet Olsen (little house on the prairie reference:D) I wanted to leave the church but my husband said I should stay and just pray for her.. I did (very begrudgingly at first) I made a point to say hi to her every Sunday. This was so hard at first but it got easier. Sometimes people are so nasty to others without realizing it.This lady was really dealing with a lot at home (that i didnt know about)and i dont think she even realized she was being so nasty. If you are happy at your church my suggestion is to stay. In every family there are times when people are at odds.. your church family is no different. Have faith that God will touch her heart and open her eyes to her behavior. In the meantime continue to be active in your church and dont let it get u down. I will be praying for your situation! God bless!

Tzutchka

Answer by Tzutchka at 11:00 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Thank You TZU..I didn't even go to church because the thought of seeing her just twisted my insides. I decided instead to just go outside and have some quiet time because my defenses are up. I will begin to pray about the situation and try to find forgiveness in my heart.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 11:13 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Well, there were several people like that who pushed me away. The harriden boss I had a few years ago. We called her "Mommie Dearest" after the Joan Crawford bio because she did everything but beat us with wire hangers. I was on the edge of being ready to leave christianity forever but she is the one who pushed me over. She was the devout christian in her church and the spawn of satan at work. And the woman who was supposed to be my friend who was always chastising me and trying to force me back into church. I stopped going to church AND to her house. The friend pushed me out of the church. The boss pushed me into atheism and witchcraft. Christians are supposed to support each other--not make our lives miserable. When you meet too many like this, well you have a choice to make. Hopefully a different church.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:45 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Yes, I have.
    Ive also known people who did leave the church because of the people.

I was always taught that the "church was perfect but the people are not" and so you shouldnt expect to get along or whatnot all the time. But sometimes, ignoring people who are mean, rude, or whatnot can take a toll on why you are in church in the first place.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 2:56 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I, too have left a church because of a person like that--but my person i also dealt with on a personal level, in a "christian" organization where she was further judgmental towards me, and mean, and spiritualy abusive--and i agree with witchqueen above unfortunately--it can push you away from christianity altogether when you get hurt like that---so i chose to run from her and change churches and hope she doesn't follow--and hope that i can keep my "faith" because the hurt from her judgmentalness is still there---i also agree though that the person, even in my case--does need praying for and if you can put up with the person, pray for them--as long as it does not turn to a spiritual abusive situation stay, pray, and enjoy.
    Anonymous