DO you get tired of hearing Agressive Breed or non Agressive Breed?

Truth is it's not always the raising or the breed sometimes it's just that dog! My daughter way bit by a lab over the weekend and all night at the ER they asked what kinda dog it was. Was it a Pit bull? NO it was a lab. That's not typical of a lab! WELL if you look out of this broad spectrium that makes you "feel" safe you'd see anything with teeth can bit! Just like people can be raised "right" and go bad so can dogs. Any ways don't you hate people say that dogs nice cause it's a blah blah blah and that dog will eat you cause it's a blah blah blah?

amommy2a2yrold

Asked by amommy2a2yrold at 10:46 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Pets

• Unfortunately people are just incredibly ignorant. There is no such thing as an "aggressive breed". Only stupid people who abuse and/or do not train their dogs.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 12:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I had good friends that had a pit bull and he was so sweet. A bunch of our friends weren't allowed over there because their parents assumed the dog was aggressive. But there was a dalmatian down the street that attacked my sister when we were little kids. I think the dalmatian was abused by his owners and he was notably aggressive.
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 10:49 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I think that those specific breeds have a reputation for a reason. I know that if they are raised right and treated well the odds of an "aggressive" breed of dog actually acting out aggressively go way down, but a biting dog(breed) doesn't get that reputation because it doesn't bite. KWIM?

Any dog has the potential to be aggressive but I think some breeds are more inclined to be that way than others.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:10 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• yes i think it is stupid. i used to have a pit bull/lab mix & he was the sweetest dog ever.
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 12:07 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Heh. I see where you're coming from, OP.

People think because they have a dog and feed it and water it and walk it and let it sleep on the couch beside them that they have a "trained" dog.

I beg to differ. I do agree with the statement you made that it is just the dog. However, I'd like to extend that a little for you, it is the just the dog, AND the fact that the owner hasn't got control over that dog's noted bad behaviors.

When my dog barks at the door, I immediately correct her. If she so much as looks at the door wrong after that, I jump down her throat. I do not just "accept" the fact that she barks at the door, I curb the behavior. And I put a big long post on your bite question, but I will say that as much as I love my dogs, and as much as they have done for me, if EVER that happened with my dog, I'd break her neck and toss her in a ditch. That's an overstatement, but needless to say the dog would not live.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I think "pet" "owners" in general have a severely warped vision of what a dog's behavior not only is, but should be. I believe that when I call that dog, he better come. And if that dog's upset, he better tattle on whatever it is that's bothering him and NOT respond. If my nieces and nephew are aggrivating my border collie/aussie mix (64lbs of cow-eating muscle mass) she is expected to walk away.

We have NEVER allowed aggression toward the food bowl, bones, toys, what EVER the case, NEVER allowed any kind of aggression, even between the dogs themselves. Many may think that is taking away their nature, but so is the fact that they are living in my house. Poor dogs. Poor things, that get fed, have clean water, get to travel, get to play, get to work, etc. Poor dogs. Eff that. My dog shows any sign of disrespect or aggression, she is immediately reprimanded. No question. This is what allows my dog to be around people and not
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:53 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• act up, that's what's earned my dogs freedom from the leash at the park, that's what's earned the $100 Best Behaved Award at the "pet parade" at the old folk's home every year for the last 8 years.

I'm not ok with the tainted idea that just because your dog comes when you whistle at it 50 times or when you have to tell it "Siiiit." 10x to get it to sit, or that you can walk out into the front yard and the dog will follow you that it is a "Good dog."

Or that it is a "good dog" because it doesn't bite.

A good dog does as told, respects its owners and all other people in the house regardless of where they are or what they are doing. I don't care how mean young children are to my dog, my dog has a way to get away. Young kids, such as your 2 yr old have NO IDEA what they're doing, and no way of understanding why "doggie" got mad.

For your DD's sake, just make sure from here out that she is well socialized with other
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:58 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• dogs, maybe even have one herself sometime in the future, to prevent the fears.

That's the greatest thing my mother could have done in the situation I was in, and that's what's driven me to learn so much about them and take advantage of the fact that dogs are meant to be followers.

GL to you, momma. Give my love to your little one!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:59 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I actually studied Animal Behavior at a major university so I have the opposite opinion. I'm tired of hearing layman say that animal aggression is all nurture and not nature. It's true that the environment influences the disposition of individuals, but behavior also has intensely strong genetic and bio-chemical influencers. Some breeds or even lines within a specific breed can carry stronger influences for behavior. For example herding dogs have a stronger urge to herd than a non-herding dog. Within a herding breed a particular bloodline might have an even strong herding urge. This holds true for all behavior.

Theriologist and Animal Behaviorlist really don't understand the implication of nature vs nurture with respect to animal behavior. We are learning a lot about it, however, through cloned individuals.
    Linds2Horse

Answer by Linds2Horse at 2:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• The dog most likely to bite is a Cocker Spaniel. Now you never hear of this because the dog is smaller and the bite is not that bad. If you have a pit or rottie bite you it is going to leave a very good mark. Chihuahuas are more likely to bite then Pits and Rots. The fact is that dog owners should take responsibity for their animals. If the dog doesn't like kids......probably shouldn't be around kids. Someday dogs will just be banned and it is for the negligence of the human race.
    shanny35

Answer by shanny35 at 3:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2009