My son has started laying on the floor, burying his face in his hands and crying when he doesn't get his way...

So last night when he did that because I didn't let him have my cell phone (he never gets that) I got down on the floor with him and stared at him, waiting for him to look at me. He finally did and I asked him if he was done, he kinda laughed and continued to fake cry. Then he got up and played with something else shortly after. It seemed like it made him realize it wasn't a big deal. Do I have the right idea or is this the wrong way to teach him? I am trying to take a different approach with discipline. Have you ever done anything like this?

aidengrant07

Asked by aidengrant07 at 10:51 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Yes, I have in fact, it works well.
    Also, another technique is to show them when they ask for something how they sometimes reply to you, with a fit, or whine, etc.

It really gets their attention on how silly they are really being.

Good job momma!

Elle
    Lakemom22

Answer by Lakemom22 at 10:59 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I've never done that. I tend to walk away. If I stay next to DD during her tantrums, she tends to cry longer. I don't want her to think that I will ever indulge in that kind of behaviour. Gotta love the tantrums!
    epoh

Answer by epoh at 11:01 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• lol yes that is a great way!!! that makes me feel better that there is another mom out there who does this. My son is 23 mo and when he doesn't get his way he will squeeze his eyes shut and start fake crying and walking around 'blind' when he bumps into things he stops looks around finds a new direction and starts all over. It's HILARIOUS!! Sometimes when he does things like stomp his feet or scream we do it back to him and then his anger turns into laughter and a fun monkey see monkey do game and we go from start of temper tantrum to twirling circles and falling down.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 11:02 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• When my 2 or 3 year old does something like that, I just ignore them, walk away & go about my business. I don't even acknowledge that they are crying or anything because it's just for attention that they do it. It's usually best to just ignore it & go on. They learn real quick that they don't get the attention they want by throwing a tantrum or laying on the floor crying. However, if by making it a funny thing like you did, works then by all means, do what works! :)

BlessedMommy64

Answer by BlessedMommy64 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I wouldnt have stard at him, My toddler does that too sometimes. When she is like that, It's not some much that she is mad she didnt get her way, it's she wants attention! Yeah her feelings her hurt because she thinks she should get her way. But, when she is like that, I sit next to her..Not in front of. NEXT to! and dont pay any attention to her...UNTIL SHE IS DONE WITH HER LITTLE FIT/SHOW whatever it maybe. Once she is done, and is clam. Then talk to her.
    You should try it, because you said, once he looked at you he stopped, and then faked cried. (It's him getting your atten. And, he needs to learn thats not a way to get it. Once he is clam and not cring then he can get it.
    Novmeber2006

Answer by Novmeber2006 at 11:03 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• It sound like it worked...He stopped having a fit/tantrum..IMO ignoring the fit works too.

Answer by louise2 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• If it works then do it! I would look at my daughter and tell her to scream a little louder, that the neighbors couldnt' hear her lol
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:07 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• zakysmommy :) I LOVE IT! We do this a LOT when esp if a temper tantrum arises in public. I tell him "I don't think everyone hears you can you scream louder please" he usually screams NO and I tell him "O please scream louder!" then he just stops and looks at me like "your stupid lady" Or (no offense to anyone with a girl I think they are precious this is just what I say) When he is squealing and making awful high pitched noises I start fake panicing saying "o NO where is Landen?? I've lost him!!" Then i walk over to him and say "Little girl have you seen Landen?" he stops and looks at me funny and I say THERE HE IS, I thought you were a girl acting that way.
    theheartbaby

Answer by theheartbaby at 11:20 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I love it!
    Have you read the book "Playful Parenting"? It has lots of fun, non-confrontational, non-punishment ways to get kids to realize that their behavior is off course and to get them to cooperate. I have a hard time remembering to use them when I'm tired but every time I do, the results far exceed my hopes!
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 12:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Wow you mamas know how to make the tantrums stop, I think I'll try some of your suggestions im having issues with tantrums to. Thanks! :)
    Red_Mama0723

Answer by Red_Mama0723 at 12:53 PM on Mar. 16, 2009