when should I first see a doctor after becoming pregnant. I'm about 5 weeks and my HCP said they don't see you until you 10 weeks.

jesk

Asked by jesk at 10:52 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Have you gone to the doctor to confirm the pregnancy? If not then I would go to confirm and then your next appointment would be when you are 10 weeks along. Congrats!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:54 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Mine didn't see you at all (even to confirm pregnancy) until 8 weeks (my OB that is).

Different doctors see women at different times. It also depends if you've been dealing with infertility, have a history of early miscarriage or are high risk. In those cases, usually you're seen earlier.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 10:58 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• well there really is nothing to do prior to 10 weeks preggers. I was about 10 -12 weeks when I first met with my OB docs with both my kids
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 11:00 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I have always been told that positive home pregnancy test is as good as the doc's one. So my OB does not see you until 10 weeks.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:05 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• i had to wait until i was at least ten weeks to get an appointment. i found out at 7 weeks.. and had to wait a few weeks that seemed like a eternity.
    emmalouwho

Answer by emmalouwho at 11:10 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My OB said anytime after 6 weeks.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• i just found out at 8 weeks that i was pregnant...i went a week after that and they said that i was 9 weeks and they did a vaginal ultra sound...and i got a picture of my little peanut thats on the way...im excited....
    krystalmarie857

Answer by krystalmarie857 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Call your OB and schedule an HCG blood count. Once your OB gets the results, you can call, and they will set the appointment up from there. I'd say 10wks is ok, by no means am I a professional, but usually at that point in time they go over what you need to eat, what to stay away from, and put you on a prenatal vitamin.

I was 17wks before I actually got to see the OB for the first time. I had just moved to OK and didn't have insurance. I found out in KS that I was pregnant via the HCG test, and told my OB I had moved to OK and that I needed him to forward my health records. The doctors at Duncan, OK, (all 3 of them I called) wouldn't see me until I had insurance. My blood count said at that time that I was 11wks. (had my period in July and Aug, missed in Sept...) Medicaid in OK wouldn't take me on without a true copy of my birth cert, which took 6wks to process and get. By that time, I drove up to see my old OB.

Even at
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:00 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• 15wks, when I finally got in to see my OB in KS, he just gave me the initial run down of what's healthy, what's not, what's safe, what's not, and made sure I was on a prenatal vitamin. However, he did at that point go ahead and put me on the small ultrasound machine there in the exam room to make sure there was just one, and to confirm the extent of the pregnancy.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 12:04 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I saw my OB at 4 weeks pregnant but some won't see you until 6, 8, or 10 weeks and some will not see you until the 2nd trimester which I think is obserd considering that the 1st trimester is the most important time for development and a lot of women don't know that.

For now just take a prenatal viatmin that contains AT LEAST 400mcg of Folic Acid because this is the time when Nural Tube Defects happen due to not having enough FA.
    Anonymous