Is there anything i can do about them calling me at work?

I have a loan with a place, that is not deliguent or in collections. The payment came due on thursay. They called my cell phone and i am at work so i can't answer it. They immediately hand up and call me at work. I work in a very small office and everyone around me can hear the conversation and tell it is about money> I told her on Friday morning that i would try to get the money in the mail this week. I have no problem paying late charges if it goes past the 10 days either. Well they called me back already this mornign, and demanded to know what day i would be mailing the payment. I told them i wasn't for sure i would try for wednesday. I cant buy a money order if i dont' have the money. Anyways is there anway to get them to not call me at work? All the things i read about them not being able to call at work usually only applies to debt collection companies i think. Any advice

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:57 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Money & Work

• Oh. i am in texas
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:58 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Start paying on time and they won't have to call!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:59 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I think that you are incorrect in thinking that rule only applies to debt collection. I think once you gave your loan place your work phone, then they are allowed to use it. I would ask them not to call you at work and explain that if they leave a message that you will call back. It can't hurt to ask. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:01 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I didn't give them my work phone. They just recently got it . There is a new lady that works there and she is the problem. The others have always been nice and worked with me because i a have always paid them. They must have got where i worked from my credit report or somethig.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:05 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I would just say sorry I am not allowed to take personal calls at work, you will have to leave a message on my cell. If they persist I would say that I will get in trouble for not abiding by the rules and when I get fired I really won't have the money to pay you!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:09 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I am not absolutely sure if this would apply to your case but, you write them a letter explaining that they are not to call you at your job, send it return receipt requested so that the company has to sign for the letter and that is suppose to stop them calling your job. Make sure you send it that way and make a copy of the letter so that you will have proof that you requested this. If it continues then you can pursue legal means to stop them. This is suppose to apply to all companies calling your job. Good luck and I hope this helps.
    foreverb3

Answer by foreverb3 at 11:10 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• yeah 9:59 thats very helpful... If you gonna be rude then why comment! geez! Yes, there is something you can do about it, its against the law for a company to call and call and call after you told them how and when you going to pay. its called harrassment! and its against the law.... Next time they call then them that they will be payed at this and this time and if they call you again harrassing you that you will contact your lawyer.... They should stop after that.
    soonmommyof3

Answer by soonmommyof3 at 11:11 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Look up the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act

A collector may contact you in person, by mail, telephone, telegram or fax. However, a debt collector may not contact you at inconvenient times or places, such as before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m., unless you agree. A debt collector also may not contact you at work if the collector knows that your employer disapproves of such contacts.
    beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:19 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• They have the right to harrass you when you are not paying your bill on time. If you can't talk to them at work about it, just tell them you can't take personal calls at work and hang up. You are not obligated to have a conversation with them. But start paying your bills on time and this won't happen. Maybe talk to them about changing your due date to a different day of the month so you can be sure and pay on time.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:20 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I'm sorry - you can be as indignet as you want about the country current economy but if any of you READ the law - they CAN NOT HARRASS you.

A debt collector MAY NOT (despite what they say):

1. Communicate with you after receiving a letter from you (a) with a request they cease and desist all contacts or (b) that you refuse to pay the debt.

2. Engage in harassing, oppressive or abusive conduct.

beachmamaof2

Answer by beachmamaof2 at 11:24 AM on Mar. 16, 2009