How do you get rid of that ring around the water line in the toilet bowl?

I scrub and scrub, but I just can't seem to get rid of it. I even tried using bleach.

not-the-momma

Asked by not-the-momma at 11:04 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

• According to the how clean is your house ladies, pumice stones won't scratch. I've used them and they do take off the ring. I haven't found that it comes back any sooner. I suspect that the pumie that gitanomadre maybe be pumice- not sure about that, just suspecting.

Answer by Bmat at 4:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Have you tried using belach and letting it sit for a bit. If that does not work then I think it might be permanent and a new toilet is in order. GL!
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:06 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• When we moved into our condo a few years ago, we had a horrible problem with the toilet. It had a large brown rust ring that would not come off. We used Lime Away and it got rid of about half of it. We then used Bleach (not at the same time though) and it got rid of some of it. I finally had to set aside 5 minutes of each day to scrub it. It finally came off. Hopefully, yours isn't as bad but I would use Lime Away or Bleach.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:07 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Bleach usually works for me. It might be hard water or permanent. Try CLR.
    mamaada

Answer by mamaada at 11:08 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Buy a new toilet. Some of those stains. never come out of old toilets.

Answer by louise2 at 11:09 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I use CLR.
    summerleigh

Answer by summerleigh at 11:13 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• You can try the bleach sitting in it for a few hrs...
    The Magic Eraser works too...
    But, like pp have stated a new toliet maybe in order if you can not get the
    stain removed...

gmasboy

Answer by gmasboy at 11:15 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I had the same problem. A lot of it has to do with our water. So no mater if we buy a new toilet or not the rings will always come back. So I do a quick scrub every night, every week I use a cleaner that can sit for an hour (don't try oxy clean it'll turn the bowl blue), and about once a month I set aside a bit of time to scrub the bowl with a pumice stone. Granted scrubbing with a pumice stone or sand paper will obviously scratch the porcelin and cause stains to come back quicker but since buying a new toilet is pointless in my house right now it's the best solution for me.
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 12:15 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Try baking soda. It's probably lime deposits. You could add white vinegar to the toilet water, but not WITH the baking soda-you'll make a volcano! Good luck!
    Heartlight617

Answer by Heartlight617 at 12:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• lol, have to agree with heartlight617.. that's what I used and it took it all up. Although if you have hard water.. don't be surprised if it comes back.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 1:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2009