Advice on solids...

My son is almost 6 months old and isn't interested in solids. We tried rice cereal at 4 1/2 months and he turned his head and sealed his lips after a few tries. We waited two weeks and tried again... not much luck. We tried oatmeal cereal, no go. We waited a week and tried squash, which went over just a little better and then tried bananas a week later; he seemed to like the bananas only a little better when mixed with rice cereal. We feed him when we eat dinner, in his high chair. He drinks 32+ ounces/day.

mevxoxo

Asked by mevxoxo at 11:35 AM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• A lot of babies are not really ready until closer to a year. Just keep offering, without pressure, and soon he will start to eat :-)

"Babies who are ready for solids can usually feed themselves. Mothers often report that they knew their babies were ready when they picked up food from a plate, chewed it, swallowed it, and wanted more."
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Try solids when he is hungrier - i.e. before bottle time. Also, make your food look REALLY good...oh and aw over it as you eat it. Apple is a big favorite so you might want to try that next. Other than that, you just have to keep offering. Some babies are more reluctant than others. He'll come around eventually. Formula or breast milk is providing everything he needs right now so don't stress about it - he'll feel it and it'll make it worse.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 11:40 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Keeping trying. It took my dd a couple weeks to get into solids. Just keep offering, everyday, and he will catch on.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 11:41 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I wouldnt worry, my 7mth old eats a veggie at dinner time and he doesnt always want them, I was giving him rice cereal in the mornings but he woulnt take his bottle as well so I stopped cereal for awhile, my doc said as long as he gets 32 oz or more of formula he is getting all he needs
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:43 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• wait untill he seems interested. there is no need to start early. My dd is 6 months and we haven't even thought about solids yet. the longer you wait the better chance your son has of not getting allergies.
    NoahsMomma418

Answer by NoahsMomma418 at 11:43 AM on Mar. 16, 2009

• He is not ready for solids and he is clearly telling you so.
    Don't push them on him. He doesn't need them.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 12:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• FTR- I would NOT keep offering. He'll start grabbing at your food when he is ready.
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 12:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2009