IF you do NOT share the Christian beliefs then....

If you Do not share the Christian beliefs on Heaven and Hell.Where do you thing or what do you believe happens to the really bad people? Besides they go to prison or jail. I am talking about the worst of the worst.Not a petty criminal,but the most cruel and vicious. Also are you satisfied with them just going to prison? What if they never get caught?It has happened.
What justice does your beliefs give them?Please elaborate. If you say Karma which is a good explanation.What makes you so sure they will feel the effects of Karma.What if they do not and live long happy lives and die? How does this make you feel personally?* No negative comments or preaching please*I am sure everyone is aware what I and other Christians believe.

Alize26

Asked by Alize26 at 12:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't believe in retribution. I think the really bad people are just really bad people. It sucks, it's not right, but there it is.

I don't think I'd feel any better if they were rotting in hell after they died because they're dead. Anything that they affected while they were living has already happened and them suffering for it after they died makes no real difference.
    Myantek

Answer by Myantek at 12:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I believe simply that when we die that is it. Our bodies decompose and there is no spirit that lives on (aside from what you pass down to your children in their memories, though I do not consider that a "spirit"). With that said there is no "justice" per say for the truly evil people out there, aside from they have to live with what they had done until they die. The memories of their actions will remain with their living families.

I don't believe they would live long and happy lives. They may live long lives, and the outward appearance they give is one of happiness but deep down it would eat them up and haunt them internally. That punishment itself can be far worse than any other. The prison of the mind is one that none can escape.
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 12:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• So far as I have experienced, the only thing that has made sense to me in this department is reincarnation & karma. To me this makes sense because it means that no person is ever completely removed from the ability to know and experience "God/Goddes", the Collective Conscious, or whatever else they perceive the Higher Power to be. Those who choose not to learn and grow would then be destined to repeat thier problems continuing the stunting of thier spiritual growth, which would result in a disconnect between them and the Higher Power (which to me is similar to the concept of "hell" in sense of being outside Gods perception). But, I don't think there is a point of no return, I think anyone can choose better, to learn, to grow, & to mature spiritually.

BubbaLuva

Answer by BubbaLuva at 12:24 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I'm guessing you mean other than man's punishments? I don't think anything cosmic happens to them. They're just crappy people. I know it doesn't give the satisfaction of imagining them burning in a lake of fire for all eternity, but I really don't believe there is any punishment or reward after death for one's actions while alive.
    Bezu

Answer by Bezu at 12:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• As a non-believer, I really don't know what happens after death. The idea of a heaven/hell concept IMO is to give the appearance that man will get what he deserves in the end (just like any Hollywood movie). We all would like for our lives/afterlife to be 'fair', but it's not. Some good people never get rewarded, while many bad people never pay the price of their crimes.

For the worst of the worst, I wish for them to spend every last second of their lives in prison. It may not be the worst punishment for them, but at least they are off the streets where they can do no more harm.
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 12:33 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Here is the bottom line.Again,my beliefs are not an insurance policy to keep me out of hell.They are much more than that.If you have to stop and think constantly"Will this action send me to hell?"you need to rethink your belief system.
    laranadtony

Answer by laranadtony at 1:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• The same thing that happens to moderately bad people, they must live forever with the stigma of their actions unless they make them right with the people they have harmed. They will spend their lives miserable and without respect, from others or themselves. No matter how well they fake it and go through the motions of being normal, they always know inside they are inadequate, and eventually, that truth will eat them up inside until they are a shell of a being, which they will remain for eternity.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• As a Buddhist, I don't think that anything is eternal, including individuals. When we die, our energy goes back to the source to be recycled into something else. Essentially the same thing happen to good people. This doesn't bother me at all- I don't feel the need to see some cosmic force dole out punishment. I don't think that life is fair, and I don't feel any compelling need to believe that life is fair. I do believe in karma, in the sense that we reap what we sow. I can see karma at work in our own lifetime, and think that most times we do have consequences from our actions, although they may not always be apparent to us as onlookers. I think the most obvious example is guilt... as a consequence of our actions this can eat us up inside although others may not see it. That is my take on it, I... life is not fair but why should we expect it to be, and I don't need to see divine retribution in order to feel peace.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 1:15 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I believe even the bad people will have to deal with their "badness" eventually.
    I do believe in karma and that we will be reborn and have to deal with past life errors whether we realize it or not.

For all I know even something as simple as a broken leg could be karma for some wrong you did in another lifetime.

If nothing ever happens to the wrongdoers, then so be it. As a human, I may not like it but as a soul who lives as part of the universal divine it wont matter. Right and wrong will be a part of this world, not that one. We are all part of that divinity whether we realize it or not, even the bad dudes.
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 1:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• as a Christian, you aren't asking for my opinion at all, ut as a Christian your question seemed a bit different than my thoughts on the whole thing. I believe other people getting punished isn't for my sake- to make me feel better that the bad guy got what he deserved.

If God decided to punish someone it is for His own glory and for that person- not for my satisfaction.

As a Christian I believe every single person on earth is bad. only God is good. We all deserve hell for we are all sinners. God in His great mercy and grace offered a way ffor us to be restored to Him and that is the only reason I will not be going to hell.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2009