I have a 9 month old and I'm 4 months preggers

Any suggestions on how to get my baby ready for the new baby?

SabrenaLeigh

Asked by SabrenaLeigh at 12:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• 9 months migh not be ready to understand yet. Mine is a bit older, but we play with baby dolls alot an talk abou the baby in mommy's tummy. When the baby does get here, make him/her your little helper, and be prepared for set backs when they still want to be the baby. Spend some extra time with them and it should go smoother than saying no I have to take care of the new baby. Not alot you can do at this age though before the baby gets here.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:39 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• wow that may be a bit hard sense at that young of a age they don't really know what is going on
    Anonymous

• I would say start by telling him... sounds silly probably, but our LO's always understand more than we think. Start getting things for the new baby, take him with to an appt, let him see your doctor and hear the baby's hearbeat. Anything to make it seem real... maybe right before or right after the baby is born, make a big deal about him going from crib to a big boy bed... my son was 14 months old when he started sleeping in a toddler bed and we never had any problems. Of course we used a bed rail for a while, but he thought it was awesome, he got to be like daddy.
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• 9 months is too young to understand. You can keep telling him that another baby is coming, but he won't really understand till older.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 12:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I talked to my mom, me and my sister are 15 months apart, and she said to start potty training asap... it seems early, and it will take lots of patience, but even if he's not completely out of diapers when you have the baby, it helps distinguish between being the older sibling and the new baby. Do anything to make him the feel big. Let him paint. Get him a training bike. Get him a booster chair for the table instead of a high chair. She also said make sure you constantly remind him how he is such a good boy (or girl, I've got a boy so I always say boy-- habit i guess. LoL) and that you are so proud and so happy and you love him so so much.

Good Luck!
    Crystal1124

Answer by Crystal1124 at 12:52 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Talk about a new baby, carry around a baby doll sometimes so your LO will get used to seeing you with a bundle in your arm, etc.

Your baby is to young to fully understand what is going on but babies can sense changes in their environment so small things may make the transition easier.

A big thing that usually helps with transition is to tandem nurse because the breast is a peaceful, safe place for babies and she won't feel over whelmed or stressed about the new change if the first time is at the breast. GL
    Anonymous

• I don't think the baby will understand at that age, but probably by 12 months the baby might understand. My daughter is 14 months and I am 7 months pregnant. She understood at 12 months. I showed her pictures of babies and told her that we're going to have another baby. Now she kisses my belly all the time and when I ask her where the baby is she points to my belly. I don't think that she fully understands, but all you can do is try.
    Anonymous