• In the Spotlight:

ok u can answer this anon if u want but i need help and answers!

ok- i was wondering if any of u or anyone u know ever breastfed while having hepetitis c? ive read articles that say that its not possible to pass it to the baby through the breast milk that its only passed through blood- but i want to know- does anyone know of this first hand?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Contact your local LLL or call they 800 number. I'm sure they can get you in touch with someone who has first hand expiriece and doesn't just know someone who knows someone... However, as a lactation consiltant, they teach us that it cannot be passed through breastmilk. Hope you get the answers you need!
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 12:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I would ask your Dr, I have never heard of the risks or if there are any, but ask, you never know. Also maybe ask the LLL.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I'm sorry I don't know the answer to that. I would say please ask either your Pediatrician or your OB/GYN for more reliable information.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 12:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• agree with munch
    Anonymous

• From the CDC: Is it safe for a mother infected with hepatitis C virus (HCV) to breastfeed her infant? Yes. There is no documented evidence that breastfeeding spreads HCV. Therefore, having HCV-infection is not a contraindication to breastfeed. HCV is transmitted by infected blood, not by human breast milk. There are no current data to suggest that HCV is transmitted by human breast milk.

Link

heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 12:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• i don't have it, but when I was trying to start breastfeeding.....I bled. From my nipples and there was also some blood in my milk. If it's transmitted through blood, that might be something to consider?
    Anonymous

• yeah- i read that if ur nipples become chapped or bleed while breast feeding with hcv to supplement and pump and dump until healed up then return to normal breastfeeding routine
    Anonymous