I know stretch marks are "genetic". Has anyone prevented them even though your mom had them? Please don't respond if you tried and still got them. I just want to hear from anyone who tried and beat the odds and how you did it.

Did you work out, drink tons of water, what lotions?? Please help. I have a friend whos mom had tons and she worked out and ended up with none. I just need hope.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:41 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Stretch marks are genetic? My mom has tons of them and I don't have any. I didn't do anything extra special to avoid them, just crossed my fingers and hoped for the best.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 12:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Strech marks have little to nothing to do with genetics. They happen if you do not have enough elastisin (sp) in your skin. Genetics don't matter when it comes to strech marks.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 12:47 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Whoever told you streatch marks are genetic needs to be smacked in the face. They arent genetic. Streatch marks is from when your body streatches.. hence the name. Some people have more elastisity in their skin than others. The only thing you can really do is a shit ton of lotion and patrolium jely.
    mommy20081

Answer by mommy20081 at 1:07 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My mom has TONS all over and while I did get some I didn't get near as many. I have also been told that they are genetic.

I drank tons of water and very little caffine. I exercised almost everyday, mostly swimming and then used "Bee's Wax" for pregnant women before exercise, before showers and then put some on just for the day. It works wonders and if you do get some they are not near as bad.

But at the end on the day stretch marks are not the end of the world. They're mommy battle wounds and you can use certain creams or electrolices (sp) to lighten them or even make them look like they were never there.
    Anonymous

• Actually stretch marks ARE hereditary... it's a well known fact, many doctors have backed this up. But it's not a sure thing that if your mother/grandmother/sister didn't get them that you won't get them... you're just less likely. I'm only 24 weeks pregnant so no marks here yet... my mother and 2 sisters did not get stretch marks so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that neither will I. I do drink plenty of water and I use Palmer's Anti-Stretch Mark Lotion (but I'm sure any lotion with tons of vitamin E and cocoa butter will do), I suppose that's about all you can do. I'm not sure how the exercising would affect your skin in such a way, but if it works for some women, more power to ya. I agree that stretch marks aren't the end of the world, but at the same time... I'm still a young, (formerly) skinny, 20-something year old who plans on wearing bikinis again someday, so stretch marks to me are kind of a big deal! haha.
    Anonymous