What age do you talk about sex?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think sex and puberty go hand and hand so whenever you have that talk. I think 9 or 10 is good.
    kboney29

Answer by kboney29 at 12:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• As soon as they start to become curious about it. Talks can start in age appropriate ways as early as age 6. The detailed talks should be saved until they are about 10 or 11 in my oppinion. Every child is different of course and some may be ready to learn about it earlier than others or vice versa.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 12:50 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I agree, as soon as they start to show an interest in anything like that then it is time to start giving age appropriate answers. We just had the "where do babies come from" convo last week.
    AK_aries

Answer by AK_aries at 12:53 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I think sneaking it in a convo from age 10 is good. Just to feel them out and see where their head is. Then once they seem more curious, they know it's ok to talk to you about.

I just had a little convo with my 11 year old about sex while we were at his Dr. appointment. I seemed kind of weirded out about, so I just told him that when he's ready he can talk to me about and I won't judge him or yell at him. He seemed to feel much better about that.

I also think it's good to get on the same page as your husband/the childs father. That way they will have SOMEONE to talk to, even if it's not you.

To be honest, I'm not nearly as scared about his curiousity in sex as I am with drugs and alchol. Too many teens and parents think it's "cool" or, "If I let him do it at home, he won't do it in the streets"

That scares the isht out of me.
    LadyChamp

Answer by LadyChamp at 1:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I have been talking about sex with my now 12 1/2 yr old since he was about 6 and started asking questions. I have been open and honest but made the material age appropriate. I really upped the talks when he started coming home from school in about 4th or 5th grade with some bizarre tales to tell me. I had to correct what was obviously untrue. My son started getting sex ed in 4th grade (basics about his body and changes he will go through) then it went more detalied from there to where in 6th grade they talked about opposite sex body parts (he thought that was gross and had lots of questions for me.LOL) Just answer the questions as they come up and be age appropriate, there are a lot of good books out there to help out. Ask the school nurse or health teacher and they can lead you in the right direction.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 1:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Ive talked to my dd about sex eversince she asked the first question. I dont ever think twice about answering them cause i want her to know the right information.
    roxxxy

Answer by roxxxy at 2:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• we had to start early. We found out from other parents that there were lipstick partys going on at parents houses on base while the parents were not home. I was NOT happy to find out my then 8 yr old was invited to them ( yes he admitted he was invited and he thought it was gross) Sorry its not right when you have 8-12 yr old little girls performing oral on boys at that age . To bad there parents havent talked to them yet :(
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 2:56 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• We started when the girls were toddlers using proper terms for body parts, talking about safe touches. Then as they got older we talked about mommy having a period. Then about them having periods and why they have them. My younger ones are too young for much more than that but the oldest has asked questions and we have answered them. So it wasn't a big formal talk, but a process of open communication
    teamquinn

Answer by teamquinn at 6:45 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I was 9 when my mom broke it down to me because I asked. I sat next to some older kids on the bus and heard alot of strange conversation and I wanted to know what it all meant so she sat me down and had NO reservations at all, spilled everything, but it really helped me though because I knew what was up and I actually waited until I was 19 to have sex while all my friends were doing it at 13 and 14
    Anonymous

• I told my Daughter the difference between it at a younger age.. I let Her know who can and can't touch Her in Her area.. And told Her about sex just recently.. Because She heard me and Her Dad having sex one time.. And She heard Her uncle whom is 13 talk about it with His friends and She asked me about it.. So She knows.. Oh She is 9 years old.

Angee3Monkeys

Answer by Angee3Monkeys at 12:53 AM on Mar. 18, 2009