my 11 year old daughter told me yesterday that she has been having short spells where her chest is heavy and hard to catch her breath for the last week. She is healthy could it be her heart?

jat628

Asked by jat628 at 12:56 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Kids' Health

• That is one of the symptoms of an under active thyroid (hypothyroidism) simple bloodwork can tell you if it is the cause. I have had the same problems lately and just had my blood drawn this morning.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 12:58 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My son is asthmatic and has those problems....in any case you should go to the doc because it could be something serious.
    momjoy1027

Answer by momjoy1027 at 1:00 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Could be asthma or panic attacks. But you should bring her to the doctor to make sure.

Answer by louise2 at 1:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• could be panic attacks
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• could be allergy, late onset asthma, thyroid, heart any number of things. I'd def. have her checked out by a dr.
    MamiJaAyla

Answer by MamiJaAyla at 4:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Yes, ask for a complete blood work up and metabolic scan.
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 4:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• It sounds like asthma to me. I'd say she should see a doctor to find out for sure.

Answer by Bmat at 5:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• This is what I was experiencing when I went to the dr. and was diagnosed with asthma. It could be one of a hundred different things though. Definitely make an appointment to see a dr. It could be nothing but it could be serious too.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 5:38 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• You want to take her to the dr. of course. But my daughter had the same, beginning around the same age. SOmetimes it hurt her so much she would fall down. I was youth director at my church and asked the teenagers if it happened to them and several of them said it did. I had taken my daughter to the doc several times and they found nothing. Eventually, she just grew out of it....(she's 19 now)
    TLALONDE16

Answer by TLALONDE16 at 8:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Take her to the dr because you (or anyone who isn't a dr or hasn't seen her) can only guess at what it is and I think it's worth the cost of the dr visit to find out if it is something serious.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 9:12 PM on Mar. 16, 2009