I have a view on what atheists are trying to say.....What ya think?

Last night,I asked my son to cut off that "three days grace" crap because their music makes me crazy.He said"You are trying to force your beliefs on me" and I told him"No,you are trying to force your taste in music on me by making me listen to that garbage" and I stopped.I sat there for a minute and thought,"I wonder if these people don't believe as I do think I am trying to force my beliefs on them by talking about my beliefs all the time?"
I don't consider what I believe garbage but justin does not consider that crappy music crappy either.

laranadtony

Asked by laranadtony at 1:04 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Religion & Beliefs

• I personally do not care what peoples beliefs are...Religious or not...IMO,, religious people talk more about their beliefs then non-religious people do. And it is annoying at times. Makes me feel that religious people are trying to convert me.

Answer by louise2 at 1:15 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• That is exactly what I think. I don't go around trying to convert people to atheism. I don't say to people who believe in God, ,"I hope you find the truth" I don't care what other people believe, go on and believe whatever you want. Just don't try to get me to believe it. But what do I know, I love Three Days Grace :)

trickortreat

Answer by trickortreat at 1:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• You got it!!! Ramen and Hallelulu! That's all any of us have been trying to say. Your beliefs work for you. Good. They just don't work for me. Thank you.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 1:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Took the words out of my mouth. I don't go around shouting from the rooftops that I want everyone to be a Pagan. I don't say I hope they find the truth either. My only wish is everyone to believe what they want and leave others be. I want people to stop saying things like "I hope you find God" "Your Gods are false" I could go on. All I want is for people to stop trying to convert me. Hello!! I have been a Christian...been there done that, soooo enough already.
    pnwmom

Answer by pnwmom at 1:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Agreed. I don't care for your music and you don't care for mine. The difference is - I don't blast my speakers to 11 to every person I meet. I wear my earbuds and bop 'til my heart's content. :)
    deadheadjen

Answer by deadheadjen at 1:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Not an atheist, but, I don't consider people "shoving it down my throat" by default. I am always surrounded by Christians, it's just the nature of where I live. Exposure doesn't bother me - I even help my friend write her junior sermons.
    It's the constant harassment of "did you try hard enough?" or "maybe you just didn't read the bible the right way last time" or "obviously, Satan is leading you astray." Or it's the signs out front of churches saying "give Jesus a try, if you don't like it Satan will take you back" and my favorite, from mother's day "the best mother is a Christian mother." I guess Jesus is SOL on that one, who knew Mary sucked so bad?
    Christians don't bother me, Christians who assume that being Christian makes them better than everyone else around them and that everyone needs them to save them do.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:32 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• In a sense, YES. However one can easily enough share their love for music by talking about it without "forcing" it on others. It's when you play it as loud as possible while shouting your love for it that we run into "disagreements".
    KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 1:43 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I want to share the goodness of God and be a testimony on his behalf. Not to force my beliefs,but to share something wonderful that has happened to me. It depends on the person on how they perceive it.*Which i cannot help* Again I also think people have us wrong by thinking we are better than anyone else. I can say i do see it from others and have made mistakes in what I personally was trying to say and do. Everyone just needs to remember we all make mistakes and say the wrong things.Or say the right things in the wrong way. I am very grateful for those who take the time to express nicely if I do so or how they feel. I do not appreciate it when people call me names or assume I meant it how they took it.
    Alize26

Answer by Alize26 at 1:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Now if only everyone else would come to the same conclusion you have ;) I may not believe in God or anything but I can get on board with the Golden Rule - Do unto others as you would have done unto you. I don't want people shoving their religion down my throat so in turn I don't shove my Atheism down anyone else's throat.
    ShutterBug77

Answer by ShutterBug77 at 1:44 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Alize.....I completely understand what you're saying. Anyone would feel this way about something that works for them this well. They would want to let others have the same satisfaction....but you have to understand, pretty much everyone here (at least in the US) knows the story of Christ whether they are Christian or not. So someone telling us about it again isn't going to change our minds! What would be better for you to do is just be a wonderful person and then if someone ASKS how you are so happy all the time, you can tell them :)

Heck, I feel the same way about Satanism, it definitely has changed my life for the better! I wish others could see that. But I know they won't if I just preach. The best thing I can do is be me, and if someone finds out I am a Satanist and am still a good person, they will be surprised and maybe want to look into it.
    metalcowgirl34

Answer by metalcowgirl34 at 1:53 PM on Mar. 16, 2009