• In the Spotlight:

My 3 yr. old dd is saying some very disturbing things...advice please...

me and my dh have been married 5 months now..my 3 yr old was fine at first then she started saying that she didnt like him or his 5 yr old dd..she then start hitting his dd she has moved passed this now but is now saying she is going to tell her daddy on them.my dh has gotten tired of hearing this..i heard her about a week ago telling a stuffed animal that she was going to kill it so i disciplined her for this but then the other day she told my dh and dd she was going to kill them.my ex has said this several times infront of after our divorce but has now gotten over it i addressed him on this issue and he said he would talk to her about it to as i already did i told her it was a very bad and hurtful thing to say to anyone..my dh is so pissed about this he is going to his moms everytime he gets his dd to keep them apart?is that really going to help solve the problem?we are expecting in august.he says this is all just a big mess

Heather5211985

Asked by Heather5211985 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Look at all the attention acting this way is getting her. I'm sure it is quite an adjustment for her to see you giving affection to this other child. And if your DH takes his daughter and leaves then that is only reinforcing that behavior. She got what she wanted, you without them. Find positive things she does, spend special time just the two of you.
    Anonymous

• Can I ask how long you two dated and how long before you moved in together? Maybe she didn't have a good adjustment period. She probably feels as though she is being replaced. Make sure that you spend time only with her and go do mommy and daughter things. Make sure that your DH is not disciplining her right now. It sounds as though your DH is not handling this maturely and needs to realize that she is 3 and is going through a HUGE adjustment.
    Anonymous

• remember that divorce and remarriage, no matter HOW hard it is on the parents, is ALWAYS the hardest on the kids.

try to be compassionate to her and try to help her express her feelings in an appropriate manner.
    fluud7

Answer by fluud7 at 2:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2009