How can I get my 2 month old to like her father?

My daughter is really good, she barely ever cries (and if she does it lasts for a minute at the most). Although, whenever her father picks her up, she'll cry and cry and cry. And then, as soon as he hands her back to me (and I mean the second I have her in my arms) she stops crying. Now, he has been around throughout the entire pregnancy and lives with us and sees her everyday. He thinks that she hates him and I try to explain to him that I am her mother and I smell like her food and sometimes I just might be more comforting for her, but I don't know what else I can do to make her stop crying when he has her. It is really starting to hurt his feelings (as it would mine). I'm sure, with time she'll get better, but right now I'm stuck.

Emmalou316

Asked by Emmalou316 at 1:13 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• She will. Right now YOU are her person, her comforter, her security. He hasn't had as much of an opportunity to get to bond with her. and that's really normal for new babies and their daddies. Since you are breastfeeding, why don't you pump a bottle a day and let her daddy feed her the milk from a bottle in the evenings. That will help them bond and he'll get to relish in the love of feeding his baby.

Good luck!
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 1:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Aw poor guy. She'll come around in time, but this doesn't help his feelings now. If you breastfeed, then consider pumping so that she can associate his feeding her also. He should interact as much as possible with her. Change her, bathe her, get down on the floor or sit beside her bed and pet and play with her- he doesn't need to actually have her in his arms. If she screams when he is near her even if you aren't in the same room, then as a backup plan you could rest her on your knees and he could sit near and talk to her and pet her. But doing things with her, playing, talking, smiling, and in time she'll be his greatest fan.

Answer by Bmat at 1:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Don't worry, I am in the same boat. I have a 4 month old that cries whenever he goes by his dad and he thinks that he doesn't want anything to do with him. I tried to explain that I am his caregiver 95% of the time and he is used to me and I have learned what he likes. I have found that if he does help with feeding, bathing and changing diapers it is getting better. Good luck.
    CharliesMom1118

Answer by CharliesMom1118 at 2:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Is he tense around her? If he is, she'll sense it and that could be making her upset. It never happened with my husband, but with our oldest daughter. She was nervous around him at first and whenever she picked him up, he'd cry. When she finally learned to relaxed with him, he stopped crying whenever she was near him.
    marbear98

Answer by marbear98 at 2:19 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I'm having the same problem. I have a 3 1/2 month old....and I'm home with her all day. My husband comes home at her bed time....so she thinks when daddy comes home....she needs to go to sleep. It kills him because he never really sees her much and when she is awake and he home on the weekends she only wants me....cuz thats what she is used to. When I play with her she giggles and carries on...but when he tries the same things I am doing.....she just looks at him like he's crazy. I try to tell him she'll grow out of it....but I'm worried....???
    TNT8687

Answer by TNT8687 at 4:04 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My 8 month old still doesn't like going to her dad. He lives with us but she would rather be with me than with him. She will have a fit if he tries to hold her. She won't even drink a bottle if he tries to give it to her. The second I give it to her she will drink her bottle.
    hannahsmommy80

Answer by hannahsmommy80 at 9:48 AM on Mar. 17, 2009

• She will get there. My daughter did the same thing, hell, she would scream if hub even looked at her, and i'm not joking. It goes away over time.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 10:02 AM on Mar. 17, 2009