WHY... do people..

(fair warning to prevent bashing: this is a duplicate post from another category, trying to reach more opinions.)

GENERALLY assume that just because they are having problems with their spouse that they are having "marital problems?"

I see so many questions, irrelevant to marriage and their vows that say, "How can I ______ before my marriage is ruined?"

matobe

Asked by matobe at 1:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I see your point. It is human nature to disagree evey now and again. Just because I think we should paint the shutters red and he thinks blue and it may become heated does not mean we are headed for divorce. Abuse/neglect/adultry aside I think we live in a disposable society and it is so easy to throw in the towel. For better or worse people! Like I tell my kids...work it out!
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:21 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Think of it this way.. If you are having problems with your sister, you are having family problems.. correct? If you are having problems with you baby, you are having children problems.. So, likely a spousal issue would be a marital problem. Naturally when you are having marital problems you would wonder what to do before the problem ends in divorce, am I not right???
    Anonymous

• No idea.
    I know many think I have issues if I dare complain about something stupid my DH did and thats not it at all.

I guess if you vent then its assumed you are at your end point and that means troubles coming??
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 1:28 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• salexander, you're right on target. That's EXACTLY what I'm getting at.

And anon post, no, if I'm having problems with my sister, it is a problem with her, not my family. I'm upset with my MIL. That doesn't mean I have to generalize it as "problems with IL's." It's her, not the fact that she's my MIL...

I'm not talking about just "problems." I'm referring to stupid scenarios there are PLENTY of easy answers for (smile and let it go? grow up? look past it?) that people threaten divorce and question whether or not they made the right choice in partner and what they should do before their marriage "ends".

I'm glad someone can see where I'm coming from, kudos, salexander, kudos!
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 1:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2009