Looking for ideas.

I am a country mouse stuck in the city for the moment. I live on a postage stamp of land...most of which is taken up by our pool. I am used to having acres of land on which to put a garden...mostly veggies. So, I do have a small patch of sunny space left that I put a few tomatoes in...any ideas on how to expand my veggies without having 100 pots all over the place. I would like cukes and beans etc I am short on space and sun. Can you grow veggies with some shade?

salexander

Asked by salexander at 1:18 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Home & Garden

• For cukes you can use stakes. You could stake them near or on the same stakes as the tomatoes. And if you use runner beans - same thing, they would climb upward. This way the footprint, the ground space would be the least. You'd have to be sure to water and fertilize well, since you'd have so much growing in the area, and I'd think that actually the beans would add nitrogen, too, a good thing. You can try vegetables in your partial shade, but the yield wouldn't be as great, but I'd say go for it. Between the crowded plantings going upward in the sun, and the partial shade, you may well get a decent total crop. I'd be interested in how it works out for you.

Answer by Bmat at 1:39 PM on Mar. 16, 2009