How do you feel about women smoking while pregnant?

I was at a party on Saturday and there was a young woman there who looked to be about 8 months pregnant. She smoked 3 entire cigs while we were there which was only an hour because we had to leave early.

To be honest this makes me really angry. In one of my prenatal development classes (going to school to be a Nurse Practitioner) we were discussing the risk of smoking while pregnant. The studies my professor showed us showed that babies were at increased risk of being still born, getting SIDS in the first 12 months of life, developing asthma, having a NICU stay, having lasting affect due to reduced blood and oxygen flow and much more.

My professor did say that occasionally a doctor will suggest that a mom continue smoking 1 cig a day to help with blood pressure but that nicotine patches are safer and more affective.

My personal feelings are...How Dare You Put Your Child's Life At Risk?

What are your thoughts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:28 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Pregnancy

• effective not "a"affective. I apologize for that. Just realized I did it.
    Anonymous

• I think they are selfish and do not care enough about their unborn child's health. If they did they would stop at least for the pregnancy. I can't stand when I hear people say BUT it's hard! BS! I smoked and quit cold turkey. It's all will power.

Anonymous

• It's really not my business...

I personally wouldn't do it, but I'm not going to judge somebody else, it's just not my style.
    Anonymous

• you or anyone else has no control what other women do in their pregnancy - yes you are entitled to your opinion but people are gonna do what they wanna do. Its life ya kno -
    My mom smoked with all three of her kids & we are fine - born healthy, born at healthy weights - I know alot of other women who smoked and had healthy babies & also women who didnt smoke and had complications - I mean regardless of smoking, if there are going to be complications than there is - yes smoking doesnt help & i understand that - but either way, people have no control ya kno.
    kwiseman19

Answer by kwiseman19 at 1:31 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I think its bull crap and i quit cold turkey to i would never do anything to hurt my baby
    Lacrisha

Answer by Lacrisha at 1:33 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• my nana smoked a pack and a half a day with all 4 of her children and they were all under 5 pounds but they all lived.

i mean its not ideal, i wouldnt do it, but i wouldnt tell anyone not to if i saw them doing it because im sure they know they shouldnt
    aliciatron

Answer by aliciatron at 1:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• As an ex-smoker I understand how hard it is to quit. It took me a long time to quit..... But it is VERY unhealthy for the baby....not to mention the mother....But I think if you can at least slow down! My friend was a heavy smoker when she got pregnant. She understood the risks to the baby and she reduced her smoking a lot! I was very proud of her! No she didn't quit but she did cut back a lot. So i think that if you can at least cut back as much as you can then that's what you need to do....I prefer non-smokers but like I said I understand how hard it is to quit!
    mominbolt

Answer by mominbolt at 1:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I've never been a smoker, so I'm really bothered when anyone lights up right in front of me and makes me breathe it. As far as her and her unborn....well, it's her body and her responsibility.
    EireLass

Answer by EireLass at 1:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Where it is morally and ethically wrong, it is not illegal. But on that note, I don't want that much law in my personal life anyway. I hate it too, but I don't get angry because that is nonproductive. Maybe there is a bright side, maybe she gave up alcohol and settling for cigarettes, not much consolation.
    KARRIEMARIE

Answer by KARRIEMARIE at 2:09 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I quit and it was so hard it was all I thought about for weeks it made me a complete bitch. Every once in a while I would steal a drag off a friends smoke and it was like heaven. Going from 1 1/2 packs a day to none is hard. My mom smoked with me and all of my sisters and we were all born fat and healthy to each their own. When I see a pregnant lady smoke I don't judge her maybe she's a recovering alcoholic or meth addict and I'd say smoking a cig would be better than that.
    Anonymous