How do I get my 4 wk old son to sleep on his own?

My son sleeps very well if he's being held but very little if he isn't. During the day he'll sleep for a max. of an hour in his crib (usually less than 10 min.) At night we put him in a co-sleeper next to me but he screams and screams. He'll sleep in bed with me if I have my arm around him (elbow at his feet and arm up one side). It's hard to get dressed or anything because either I hold him or he screams. His ped. said to let him cry it out but I can't listen to him scream for too long We're up to 20 min and he's still going strong.

magpbright

Asked by magpbright at 1:35 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• sounds like he may need to be swaddled in order to sleep. my middle son needed to swaddled tightly or he'd scream and cry. Most the day I held him in a bay sling- which was like the effect of 'swaddling'. Those 'pumpkin seats' are good becuase they cradle the babies. I would swaddle him, put him in the ably sling, set him his 'pumpkin seat', get dressed while he was upset, then wear the sling.

NEVER EVER let a 4 week old Cry It Out! That is way too young!! he needs to know you are right there for him at 4 weeks old.

it takes a while for babies to sleep through the night.
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Is he crying or screaming? If you can't even put him down to get dressed, it sounds like he might be in pain from something? Is he maybe gassy or having other tummy troubles?
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 2:07 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• yeap sounds like a combo of both...swaddle tightly..gives them that comfortable feeling, and maybe he is gassy...have you tried swaddling him and putting him a swing?
    MSully3

Answer by MSully3 at 2:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• We've tried swaddling but he kicks the blanket off. We've also tried a sleep sack that swaddles him but he kept on screaming. He's very gassy but the ped says that all babies have immature digestive systems and it will be fine by 3 months. I've cut dairy out of my diet and switched to a lactose free formula because lactose intolerance runs in my family. It hasn't helped yet but these are recent changes.
    He starts off crying and moves into screaming complete with red face, kicking himself around the crib, and sweating. If he's picked up, he calms down within a minute or two.
    magpbright

Answer by magpbright at 2:47 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I wouldn't let him scream... he is too young for that.
    Try a nice tight swaddle and then make a little "nest" with a blanket. Make a blanket roll and then make it into a U shape... put the U under his butt so it snuggles him.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:17 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• We bought a swaddle thing called a Woombie that my son couldn't get out of and he seemed to like alot
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:18 PM on Mar. 16, 2009