Any nerdy science chicks?

Say there was a whole dug from one end of the earth directly down to the opposite side. Also, say you couldnt be burned up. If you fell down the hole, would you come shooting out of the other side, or would you get stuck in the middle of the earth from the gravitational forces coming from the opposite side?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:36 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Just for Fun

• You would not shoot out the other end. Gravity would allow you to fall just until you were ALMOST through the hole, then pull you back.

Then you would go ALMOST to the first end of the hole...but not quite..and be pulled back.

Think of a swing...each time you "swing" through the hole, you don't go as far and you start slowing. you would eventually stop in the middle (core) of the earth.

That's actually in one of my son's books! "Gravity is a Mystery" It's his favorite part! lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 1:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• So, you watched Journey to the Center of the Earth, also last night, lol. I would say that you would have to climb your way out of the hole because of the gravitational pull.
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 1:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• you'd get stuck in the midle evenutually, as soon as you pass the center gravity will pull you back towards the center. (unless you were propelled by something sufficiant to overcome the gravitiational pull).

the initial momentum would take you past the center a ways, then gravity would 'win' and pull you ack- again the momentum wuld take you past the center, but not as far as last time, then gravity would 'win' and pull you back- again the momentum would take you past the center, but not as far as last time, back and forth- going less far each time until you just stayed in the center.

that's my guess. I've never really tried it, so I can't say for certain.

Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:52 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• what ticcledblue said..... but hers is more eloquent- coming from a book. mine just came from my head-which isn't the best at speaking what it thinks
    Kiter

Answer by Kiter at 1:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• LOL The first part is from the book. I came up with the "swing" idea to explain it better to my son. lol
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 2:04 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Cool. Nerdy Science Chicks Unite!
    JustAMom2008

Answer by JustAMom2008 at 2:23 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Thanks girls- great answers
    Anonymous