• In the Spotlight:

supplementing breastmilk with formula

Hi,
I have a 6 week old and have been breastfeeding since she was born.. The doctor said it is okay to give her formula every few days or so if I wanted to.
Does anyone know if there are drawbacks to doing this or have similar experience to give their advice?
I do pump, but sometimes don't have time to pump before going someplace where it is not easy to breastfeed... and have thought how nice/easy it would be to have formula handy for these times.
I do want the best for my daughter's health and growth, so am not sure straying from straight breast milk is the best idea.
thanks :)
p.s. if you feel it is okay, any preference on formula? I would love to use organic (i.e. Earth's Best) but haven't heard anything about that kind..
thanks!

KellyJC

Asked by KellyJC at 1:40 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Well im a big Similac fan and thats what my first 3 kids were on, they were all bottle babies cause i never had enough milk!! I have an 8 week old and attempted to breastfeed again and it just worked out perfectly this time!! I had first intended to bottle and breastfeed but since its going so well i see no need to use formula...I am not able to pump so I just have to feed her when she is hungery. I always just make sure to feed her really well before we leave the house to try to avoid having to feed her while we are out!! If you have the milk and things are going well i wouldnt give your baby formula but thats totally up to you, and it certainly wont hurt your baby!! good luck!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 1:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I'm supplementing formula with breastmilk, which we started for medical reasons at the hospital. It really bothered me at first because breastmilk is healthier. However, if the situation calls for formula, go with it. It's more important to have a healthy, well fed child. As for which formula, the hospital recommended Similac Advance Shield, which made my son very gassy. We switched to Similac Sensitive and things have calmed down. I'd talk to the ped. about using an organic version.
    magpbright

Answer by magpbright at 1:50 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• It's not so great for your supply. My SIL nurses once a day and formula feeds the rest of the day, so her supply is used to just that once a day. But when you're using it here and there and not pumping to make up for it your supply will go down.

I would suggest getting comfortable at nursing in public for now, and remember as your little one grows they won't be eating as often. I know nursing at times can feel more like a burden when you're trying to live a normal life, but the older they get the more freedom you have.
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 1:51 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• thanks.. yes, I should probably stick to what I have been doing.. all great advice.
    you mention eating less often.. anyone know when/how this happens with a growing infant?
    right now, she eats every 2-3 hours.. (is 6 weeks old)
    what should I expect in the coming weeks?
    THANK you all again! :)
    KellyJC

Answer by KellyJC at 1:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• U will get a lot of answers on this and I will probably get bashed for this but I have had to supplement due to decreasing supply but in ur case whenever u supplement u are lowering your chance of producing. U could always pump and take frozen with u if you're not comfy bfing in public. I'm not I don't think I would supplement this young tho. Formula can also cause constipation. I use similar advance when I absolutely have to. Good luck.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:54 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• She will be eating every couple hours for quite a while. Bf babies eat more often anyway.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 1:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• try similac organic
    Mamaof2010

Answer by Mamaof2010 at 2:07 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• good to know! thanks!!!!
    KellyJC

Answer by KellyJC at 2:08 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• We supplement with formula sometimes... we use Enfamil
    She is still pretty young though.. so if you supplement you need to pump or you risk loosing your supply.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:15 PM on Mar. 16, 2009