Does anyone else hate breastfeeding but do it anyway?

I hate everything about breastfeeding. I actually pump and feed most of the time because I hate the feeling of nursing and I hate the cracked and bleeding nipples that come with it. I don't think it is less expensive...not after the pumps and pads and creams and storage bags. I hate spending my lunch breaks at work sitting on a footstool in the dark janitor's closet...and then going back to work hungry. I hate the burning feeling of my milk letting down. I hate that my tits sag...one lower than the other...noticeably lower. And I honestly feel like every vitamin and every last bit of protein is being stripped from my body and I go to bed sore every night.

I do it anyway because I think it is best for my baby...but I hate it. And I would like to have some company here because, honestly, I'm sick of hearing lactivists shove how natural it is down the throats of everyone that disagrees.

kabbot01

Asked by kabbot01 at 1:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Just go ahead and feed your baby formula. If you're that unhappy and I bet you are, why put yourself through the misery? Your formula fed baby will be FINE! Of course, I have to keep this anon for obvious reasons. But please, give yourself a break. You deserve it and your baby will be okay.
    Anonymous

• Sorry you feel that way. I hated it at first because I had such bad cracked nipples, and all the Lactation Consultants would tell me is that she was latching on wrong- but once they saw her nurse they were like "oh, she's doing it right!" but then they had no more advice on how to help the pain. My OB ended up prescribing "Dr. Jack Newman's All Purpose Nipple Cream" and in less than a day they were healed and it didn't hurt anymore to nurse.

But I would seriously cry every time she started to nurse. I feared the shower because the water would hit them and kill. But now that the pain is gone I'm totally fine with it.

Good luck! I hope things change for you!
    julipickle2

Answer by julipickle2 at 1:55 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Lol, I only hate it because dd wont take a bottle or paci..never has. So I have lost so much freedom. Can't go ANYWHERE alone unless its a 15 minute trip to Walgreens, lol.

I'm sorry its been so hard for you though! Its awesome that you do it anyway...purely for your baby.
    MamaChamp

Answer by MamaChamp at 1:55 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• It's not easy for everyone. I'm impressed/admire with your dedicaiton and concern for your child. I didn't make it past 6 weeks because of the pain. Even pumping hurt and I didn't want to invest in an electic one when everything hurt so bad as it was so I hand pumped as much as I could and breastfeed through the pain. I ended up formula feeding b/c I was actaully afraid to hold my child b/c of the pain! And b/c she was't gaining weight so I was supplimenting anyway. I'm sorry you have a crappy company and have to pump in a closet! There have to be laws against that kind of treatment.
    Anonymous

• I have to say that I don't like it either. Everyone talks about how it's so great but I'm having trouble seeing what's so great about the burning of let down and being tied to a chair as I nurse. I don't know how old your child is (I'm guessing a couple of months since you're back at work) but it might be time to supplement with formula for a couple of feedings. If you're skipping lunch to pump, you're doing both you and your baby a disservice. You need the vitamins and calories to produce the best milk possible. If you're not eating, it's affecting your supply and therefore the quality of milk for your baby. I'm guessing that your job doesn't allow a lot of flexibility in terms of providing a bit more time for you to eat. You've got to take care of yourself in order to take care of your baby. I'd start supplementing and stop hating something that takes a huge part of your time.
    magpbright

Answer by magpbright at 1:58 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• My baby is 8 weeks old and she is #4 for me and i couldnt breastfeed my first 3 cause my milk never came in!! Its going perfectly this time and it is cheaper for me cause I cannot pump so i have no pumps or storage bags or creams to buy!! Just pads which are much cheaper than formula!! Also I had the cracked and bleeding nipples at first too and a lactation consultant showed me that she was not latching on right and thats why it was hurting me so bad cause she was sweezing my nipple with her hard palet and not her soft palet!! I absoulutly love it I feel its created a bond I didnt get with my other 3 kids, but if you hate it that much and your unhappy about it you should really think about switching to formula she will be fine and you have given her the anibodies that she really needed at birth already so if your that unhappy just put her on formula!! good luck!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 2:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I'm sure your baby is feeling the stress also. If its a negative experience then maybe u should just give formula. You will both probably be happier. Go ahead and bash but I don't think it should be a negative thing. Feeding time should be enjoyable for both mommy and baby.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 2:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• Well, I don't hate it, but I definitely had troubles at first too and it wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done. Can you supplement with formula during the day and nurse at night? That would give your nipples a little bit of a rest and hopefully they can heal a little. The thing that helped me the most was letting them air out--can you go topless around the house, especially when you're sleeping? Are you still taking your prenatals? That might help your energy levels a little too.
    bethany169

Answer by bethany169 at 2:14 PM on Mar. 16, 2009

• I hated it and I stopped. It wasn't worth not wanting to be around my son. It wasn't worth not having a bond with him because I didn't want to be in a room with him because I knew he would want to eat. It wasn't worth regretting even having him.

Best thing for us was when I switched to formula. I finally loved him, I finally bonded with him and he was finally a happy baby.
    Anonymous

• yeah the pumping situation at work sucks. I teach Special Ed classes for all grade levels in my district and because of the different grade levels and lunch periods being staggered, I pretty much have 20 mins to pump...and no breaks other than my lunch. The janitor's closet sucks, and depending on which school I'm in, there is competition for it since one of the other teachers delivered a week before me. Egh. I just don't like nursing. I pumped and fed with my first daughter because she had eating issues and I was able to keep it up for about 7 months before I started having to supplement and I had high hopes for nursing this time around, but I just hate it. Still, I think I owe it to her to do it. I pretty much hate feeling like I'm supposed to like it though.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 2:16 PM on Mar. 16, 2009